Re: Music on a Bike

  • telebelly999
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
      You might want to check out these 100 Watt + motorcycle audio systems. They start at around $50. I have one powered by my electric bike but they could be run off a 12-volt battery.

      http://www.gooddeals18.com/category/motorcycle_audio/

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stitzljq" <stitzljq@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have suggestions regarding listening to music while on a bike? Not using my iPod, that's probably illegal where I live, and definitely a bad idea regardless, I do want to be able to hear traffic and be safe. I want to put a small set of speakers on my bike, or maybe a crank-powered radio. It doesn't have to be totally waterproof, but it will get rained on (at least by accident or bad luck) occasionally. It obviously needs to be quite securely attached, and I'd like it to be fairly easy to attach or remove it from the bike.
      >
      > I have a lot of options for where to attach it:
      >
      > - I have a handlebar bag
      > - I have Nitto Moustache bars, which offer a large amount of space "between" the "sides" of the bars, where perhaps something could be suspended. Picture here: http://www.hiawathacyclery.com/cart/images/IMG_0534_500.jpg
      > - I've been considering getting a front rack, this might be another good place to attach speakers, and thus another good reason to spend money on my bike :0)
      >
      > I'm definitely open to the idea of building some type of platform or mount out of wood. Ideas for woodworking projects, and thus good reasons to hang out in my garage and play with tools, are always welcome :0)
      >
      > Any advice is appreciated!
      >
      > - Joel

    • stitzljq
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
        Also, I forgot to mention an important bit: While carting along a radio would be fine, it would be even nicer to be able to use my iPod Shuffle. The only trouble is that it's not a "docking" iPod. I'd need speakers that I could plug into with the usual 1/8" headphone plug. There are a million iPod accessories available, but most seem to be designed for ipods that are more expensive than mine (and, to be fair, probably a lot more prevalent than mine).
      • Nick Smolinske
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
          I made a battery pack for a set of computer speakers that uses 6 AA batteries; I get insane amounts of life out of NiMH rechargables; way more than I thought I would.  The speakers fit into a front basket and are held up on 3 sides by the basket, and on the fourth by a spoke, which I bent so that it hangs off of the basket.  I don't have a picture handy or I'd post one.

          Alternatively, sun-lite makes a handlebar bag with an integrated speaker that is smaller, and looks a lot better.  No idea of the quality, though.

          On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM, stitzljq <stitzljq@...> wrote:

          Also, I forgot to mention an important bit: While carting along a radio would be fine, it would be even nicer to be able to use my iPod Shuffle. The only trouble is that it's not a "docking" iPod. I'd need speakers that I could plug into with the usual 1/8" headphone plug. There are a million iPod accessories available, but most seem to be designed for ipods that are more expensive than mine (and, to be fair, probably a lot more prevalent than mine).

        • Wes T
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
            Probably a little low tech for you, but what I do is take a regular set of earbuds (always use cheap ones), cut the left earbud off right at the point where both wire come together, wrap a little electrical tape around the bare wire and just run with one earbud. You can still hear your music and your left ear is still exposed to hear the traffic. In all reality it's probably safer than using external speakers because you still have one good ear (no additional exterior noises) to listen for traffic. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem (never did like running with both ears plugged - very dangerous).

            On the other hand, I have been contemplating seting up a set of external speakers to use when I go on group rides. For that I was just planning on using the set of external speakers I bought for my daughter's trailer. You can usually find them on amazon or someplace similar for anywhere from $5 to $20 (if you want to get really spendy). The just plug into your headphone jack and you just control everything from your MP3 just like headphones. Just make sure you get the battery powered ones, otherwise they'll never be loud enough to be heard on a bike. As far as placement, I was just planning on strapping them to the stoker bar I have under my seat. Or, if you have enough seatpost showing, you could probably just mount it directly to that.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stitzljq" <stitzljq@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have suggestions regarding listening to music while on a bike? Not using my iPod, that's probably illegal where I live, and definitely a bad idea regardless, I do want to be able to hear traffic and be safe. I want to put a small set of speakers on my bike, or maybe a crank-powered radio. It doesn't have to be totally waterproof, but it will get rained on (at least by accident or bad luck) occasionally. It obviously needs to be quite securely attached, and I'd like it to be fairly easy to attach or remove it from the bike.
            >
            > I have a lot of options for where to attach it:
            >
            > - I have a handlebar bag
            > - I have Nitto Moustache bars, which offer a large amount of space "between" the "sides" of the bars, where perhaps something could be suspended. Picture here: http://www.hiawathacyclery.com/cart/images/IMG_0534_500.jpg
            > - I've been considering getting a front rack, this might be another good place to attach speakers, and thus another good reason to spend money on my bike :0)
            >
            > I'm definitely open to the idea of building some type of platform or mount out of wood. Ideas for woodworking projects, and thus good reasons to hang out in my garage and play with tools, are always welcome :0)
            >
            > Any advice is appreciated!
            >
            > - Joel

          • allen wade
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
              HMDX "Speakers on the go"  I bought them at Kohls for about $10.  You can plug your shuffle in to them and go.  They zip in half so you can put the ipod inside if you want.  I use a little bungee cord and wrap it around the speakers and the stem then clip the shuffle to the cord for easy song changing.  Works great!!!!!!!!!

              AL

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
                Here's a pic of my setup.

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/4003287184/in/set-72157622440867553/

                There's a 1/8" plug where my MP3 player plugs into on top of the left front speaker. The amplifier is in the rear bag.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stitzljq" <stitzljq@...> wrote:

                > Also, I forgot to mention an important bit: While carting along a radio would be fine, it would be even nicer to be able to use my iPod Shuffle. The only trouble is that it's not a "docking" iPod. I'd need speakers that I could plug into with the usual 1/8" headphone plug. There are a million iPod accessories available, but most seem to be designed for ipods that are more expensive than mine (and, to be fair, probably a lot more prevalent than mine).

              • MH
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Hi Joel,

                  You might be interested in this MP3 connected speaker system for your bike

                  i-Ride Speakers for your Bicycle - $30-60 each
                  http://www.active-tunes.com

                  Heres some reviews that you might look at
                  with readers comment below the articles

                  http://www.pbbt.org/2009/05/28/bike-speakers-active-tunes-i-ride-pro-review/
                  http://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/i-ride-classic-and-byco-wrx1-bike-speakers/

                  and heres a audio video comparison

                  http://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/2009/07/20/mp3-speaker-shootout/

                  -Mark Hoagy

                  stitzljq wrote:
                  > Does anyone have suggestions regarding listening to music while on a bike?
                  > - Joel
                • Rick Pickett
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
                    I love the DeWalt construction site stereo. One charge lasts a full day, the speakers are quality, body is rugged and has a line in for MP3 players, iPhones, etc. Really dig it and has handles for easy CamStrapping to your deck.

                    Bit more expensive, but you can take it with you once you arrive at your destination.

                    Cheers,
                    Rick

                    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

                    artistic shenaniganizer | rick@...
                    888.537-1401 x709 | every day adventure

                    stitzljq wrote:
                    > Does anyone have suggestions regarding listening to music while on a bike?
                    > - Joel

                  • Carl Mears
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Hi

                      I realize that this does not exactly fit your needs, but...

                      I have a Ihome h85 ipod speaker thing shaped more or less like a water bottle.
                      It won't work with the shuffle, but it is very cool.

                      It is almost loud enough to hear on a busy road.
                      It has a remote that is easy to operate that attaches on your handle bars or
                      whatever.

                      It is quite amazing to me how loud it needs to be when pedaling 15 mph into a headwind
                      on a busy road.

                      -Carl

                      On Dec 3, 2009, at 12:26 PM, stitzljq wrote:

[...]

                    • Mark Garvey
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
                        OK, I found a case of Beer....Bud Lite (eeeeyyuuuuck!  Sorry, But I prefer Torpedo, or nearly ANY IPA or EPA to a Lite Lager!  BLeaugh!)  that has a speaker built into the box.  Buy the box, drink the beer, or use it as payment for a friend doing somehting for you and take teh speaker from the box.  Mount it to your handlebar bag or rig a moount.  I also found a booster AMP at Wal Mart that boosts the signal between a player and a speaker.  Powered by 3 AA batteries.

                        OK, I have ALSO found a "wireless headset" for $12! (COOL!) that has a small transmitter and a set of headphones with cushions on them.  they are EXTERNAL style headphones that will assist keeping ears warm and will act partially as earmuffs.  I Find that I can hear and carry on a conversation while wearing them.  their Legality may be questionable in some areas.  I KNOW it isn't a great idea to use headphones on a bike, but I often do.  I will not Defend the practice or anything other than to say, I use at LEAST two and often MORE mirrors so I don't think that the headphones are a major problem if you don't blast them too high!  Common sense is more important than strict adherence to arbitrary "rules" (Law is different of course)

                        Another thought is to use these SAME headphones and mount them on your helmet so that they do not TOUCH your ears, but sit an inch or so away.  I really LIKE the wireless concept.

                        There USED to be a really interesting radio called a BONE PHONE that was like a scarf that draped over your neck and put speakers on your collar bone, and I have a backpack set up for an MP3 player that has speakers on the straps that works pretty well also.

                        Just ideas!

                        Mark

                        On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM, stitzljq <stitzljq@...> wrote:
[...]

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        --
                        Family FUN!.....with a twist!

                        Papa Balloon
                      • Carl Ray
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
                          http://rockthebike.com/sound-systems

                          Nuff said...

                          On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM, stitzljq <stitzljq@...> wrote:

[...]

                          "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them." – Ernest Hemingway
                        • Pete B

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
                              Yeah, as far I am aware, ROCK THE BIKE Sound SYSTEMS are  great but they way overly priced...they  start at about $2,500 bucks ..... I built one that cost me less than $500.00 bucks and its pretty loud, so loud that one night I was playing it outside  with a few buddies of mine and the police came to shut us down cuz neighbors had complained  about loud music coming off  from a bicycle. That was me for sure, and that was just half the volume.
                               On this sound system, the  water proof speakers are on the rear part of the snap deck board, tied up with plumber's metal tape, but  will only come off if I remove the  wood board the speaker are sitting on. I placed the amplifier under the  snap deck board,a nd I run a headphone cable to the front to my handlebar, where I have an MP3 player, but now I have upgraded to an Ipod Nano.  Well, maybe the pictures below can explain this better:

                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 4, 2009
                                If none of those ideas work for you, go to www.Cyclesound.net. Great stereo that's self-contained within a seatbag. iPod compatible and runs on 8 AA batteries. I get about 6 hours of run-time out of a set. Very good quality sound and plenty of volume (everyone around you can enjoy it too). There's a volume knob on the outside of the bag for quick adjustments (at stoplights, etc) and it has two speakers. They run $150 but are well worth it. I built a homemade stereo with a 600 watt amp and two 6X9's and a bazook tube that ran on a motorcycle battery, and it sounded great with plenty of volume, but weighed 80lbs. Since i purchased the Cyclesound, i haven't used it in over a year. I researched alternatives for over a year and this is by far the best self-contained stereo out there.
                              • John Wilde
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 4, 2009
                                  I ussed to ride wearing a Bone Fone radio, back in the day before walkmans,CD's and MP3"s.
                                  I loved it.
                                  Some times you can find the Bone Fones on e-bay.
                                  John
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 9, 2009
                                    Rick,
                                    That DeWalt worksite radio/stereo is not waterproof or water resistant,
                                    is it? I would not think so, but I thought I would ask. I would hate to
                                    buy one then have it get accidentally rained on while on the back of the
                                    bike.
                                    As it is, I already have a bunch of cordless DeWalt tools in my arsenal
                                    (hammer drill, grinder, saws-all, circular saw, jig saw, flex-light,
                                    wet/dry vac, two chargers & four batteries), so from time to time I have
                                    considered getting their radio/stereo. If it was at least water
                                    resistant, then that would probably seal the deal.
                                    I do have a very portable stereo system, which is pretty sweet looking
                                    and provides nice base sound, called the KaBoom Box from JVC. The one I
                                    have is an older model of this one:
                                    http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027366&pathId=37&page=2&archive=true
                                    I primarily use it as my computer speaker system, but it is really
                                    portable with its rugged side-end handles and comfortable carrying strap.
                                    The unit is so sturdy I have actually sat on it like a stool while it
                                    stood on end. Despite how beefy it is though, it is not water resistant.

                                    By the way, if anyone uses DeWalt cordless tools I recently discovered
                                    some major money savings regarding their batteries. If you have one of
                                    their dead or dying batteries, you can bring it into a “Batteries Plus”
                                    shop (http://www.batteriesplus.com) and they will completely rebuild it
                                    with higher-powered/longer-lasting cells inside and it will cost you at
                                    least 1/2 the cost of buying a new replacement battery. I actually had
                                    three dead/dying batteries and it cost me $128.97 (+ $7.74 tax) in total,
                                    or $42.99 for each battery rebuild. A new 18v DeWalt battery costs $90,
                                    and some places even have two pack deals for $120, but if you already
                                    have some dead batteries lying around rebuilding the batteries is the way
                                    to go!
                                    Something else I asked about at Batteries Plus is whether they could
                                    build me a replacement battery for my dual-tube Down Low Glow. They took
                                    a look at it and said they could rebuild it with better cells and even
                                    add a couple more cells if I wanted for less than $40. I still have a
                                    decent life in my DLG battery, but it is nice to know I can get a hook up
                                    nearby. For me there is a Batteries Plus shop only five minutes away by
                                    bike.

                                    _TONE_
                                  • Rick Pickett
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 9, 2009
                                      Yo Tone,

                                      Just says "weather sealed" on the battery charger area... Has to handle at least a little bit of weather or else DeWalt needs to visit a construction site in winter.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Rick

                                      "Truly, the bicycle is the most influential piece of product design ever."  – Hugh Pearman

                                      pixel pusher rick@...
                                      888.537-1401 x709 | xtracycle.com

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 10, 2009
                                        I don't know if Dewalt considers their job site radios be be water-resistant, but I can say that when I used to work as a carpenter, two of my managers had those radios. We wouldn't purposefully leave them out in the rain, but we weren't overly nice to them either. At the end of the day they'd get thrown in the back of the pickup truck with all the other tools, whether it was raining or not, when we drove back to the warehouse. So, I don't know about a downpour, but a reasonable amount of rain won't hurt them. I know one of those radios stood up to a year of construction site abuse... after that I left for another job, so I can't say how they're doing several years on, but it seems like a decent solution. Certainly heavy, and large, but for Critical Mass or something like it, it a lot easier than building your own sound system on a cart (as I saw done in Cincinnati) and a lot cheaper than a Soul Cycle.

                                        Also, really good to know about the Batteries Plus. I have several DeWalt batteries myself and am looking at buying a Down Low Glow. I didn't know those stores did anything but sell batteries. Thanks!

                                        - Joel

                                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <tone@...> wrote:

                                        > Rick,
                                        > That DeWalt worksite radio/stereo is not waterproof or water resistant,
                                        > is it? I would not think so, but I thought I would ask. I would hate to
                                        > buy one then have it get accidentally rained on while on the back of the
                                        > bike.
                                        > As it is, I already have a bunch of cordless DeWalt tools in my arsenal
                                        > (hammer drill, grinder, saws-all, circular saw, jig saw, flex-light,
                                        > wet/dry vac, two chargers & four batteries), so from time to time I have
                                        > considered getting their radio/stereo. If it was at least water
                                        > resistant, then that would probably seal the deal.
                                        > I do have a very portable stereo system, which is pretty sweet looking
                                        > and provides nice base sound, called the KaBoom Box from JVC. The one I
                                        > have is an older model of this one:
                                        > http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027366&pathId=37&page=2&archive=true
                                        > I primarily use it as my computer speaker system, but it is really
                                        > portable with its rugged side-end handles and comfortable carrying strap.
                                        > The unit is so sturdy I have actually sat on it like a stool while it
                                        > stood on end. Despite how beefy it is though, it is not water resistant.
                                        >
                                        > By the way, if anyone uses DeWalt cordless tools I recently discovered
                                        > some major money savings regarding their batteries. If you have one of
                                        > their dead or dying batteries, you can bring it into a "Batteries Plus"
                                        > shop (http://www.batteriesplus.com) and they will completely rebuild it
                                        > with higher-powered/longer-lasting cells inside and it will cost you at
                                        > least 1/2 the cost of buying a new replacement battery. I actually had
                                        > three dead/dying batteries and it cost me $128.97 (+ $7.74 tax) in total,
                                        > or $42.99 for each battery rebuild. A new 18v DeWalt battery costs $90,
                                        > and some places even have two pack deals for $120, but if you already
                                        > have some dead batteries lying around rebuilding the batteries is the way
                                        > to go!
                                        > Something else I asked about at Batteries Plus is whether they could
                                        > build me a replacement battery for my dual-tube Down Low Glow. They took
                                        > a look at it and said they could rebuild it with better cells and even
                                        > add a couple more cells if I wanted for less than $40. I still have a
                                        > decent life in my DLG battery, but it is nice to know I can get a hook up
                                        > nearby. For me there is a Batteries Plus shop only five minutes away by
                                        > bike.
                                        >
                                        > _TONE_

                                      • carfreeinmn
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 26 1:50 PM
                                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stitzljq" <stitzljq@...> wrote:

                                          > Does anyone have suggestions regarding listening to music while on a bike? Not using my iPod, that's probably illegal where I live, and definitely a bad idea regardless, I do want to be able to hear traffic and be safe. I want to put a small set of speakers on my bike, or maybe a crank-powered radio. It doesn't have to be totally waterproof, but it will get rained on (at least by accident or bad luck) occasionally. It obviously needs to be quite securely attached, and I'd like it to be fairly easy to attach or remove it from the bike.
                                          >
                                          > I have a lot of options for where to attach it:
                                          >
                                          > - I have a handlebar bag
                                          > - I have Nitto Moustache bars, which offer a large amount of space "between" the "sides" of the bars, where perhaps something could be suspended. Picture here: http://www.hiawathacyclery.com/cart/images/IMG_0534_500.jpg
                                          > - I've been considering getting a front rack, this might be another good place to attach speakers, and thus another good reason to spend money on my bike :0)
                                          >
                                          > I'm definitely open to the idea of building some type of platform or mount out of wood. Ideas for woodworking projects, and thus good reasons to hang out in my garage and play with tools, are always welcome :0)
                                          >
                                          > Any advice is appreciated!
                                          >
                                          > - Joel

                                          Check out the iHome2Go. Self contained unit that slips into its own holder that mounts where your bottle cage bracket would go. Also has a remote control you mount on handlebars. It sounds great and has volume too. Easy to grab and go with.
                                        • carfreeinmn
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 26 1:51 PM