Re: [rootsradicals] Now recumbents can join the fun!

  • Andy Cohen
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
      Yes, you're in a very vulnerable position after cresting a hill, because you've just become invisible to following cars. Some recommend crossing over to the left lane for a while after cresting a hill, to stay out of that particular "kill zone."

         - Andy

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:

      [...] the other day I was on my Big Dummy after just
      coming over a hill and an SUV sped up behind me and nearly hit me because
      they almost did not see me over the hood of their car after coming over
      the hill. I was unloaded at the time, so I did not have any long cargo
      for them to hit, but if I had been on a tri-cycle recumbent like the
      CargoMonster with its wider wheel base and lower visibility threshold, I
      would hate to think what might have happened.

      Ride safe,
      _TONE_

    • MH
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
        After seven years of peddling a recumbent trike with lots and
        lots of hills all around me in my area of Wisconsin I've
        never been tagged by a motor vehicle maybe because I wear
        a safety green vest and a fluorescent orange slow moving
        vehicle sign on back. You can continue to worry of you
        want to but I thought I would take precautionary measures upon
        myself to alert motorists to avoid collisions. Its worked so
        far but you never know about the future I suppose. They say,
        A once of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

        Andy Cohen wrote:
        > Yes, you're in a very vulnerable position after cresting a hill, because
        > you've just become invisible to following cars. Some recommend crossing over
        > to the left lane for a while after cresting a hill, to stay out of that
        > particular "kill zone."
        >
        > - Andy
        >
        > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:
        >

        >> [...] the other day I was on my Big Dummy after just
        >> coming over a hill and an SUV sped up behind me and nearly hit me because
        >> they almost did not see me over the hood of their car after coming over
        >> the hill. I was unloaded at the time, so I did not have any long cargo
        >> for them to hit, but if I had been on a tri-cycle recumbent like the
        >> CargoMonster with its wider wheel base and lower visibility threshold, I
        >> would hate to think what might have happened.
        >>
        >> Ride safe,
        >> _TONE_

      • Travers, Neil
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
          I'm not a recumbent rider, but I've read in quite a few places that most
          upright riders overestimate how low a recumbent rider really is. I've
          seen it said that many are at eye level with drivers of normal cars
          (that's UK, not super sized US ones) - e.g. Ford Focus/Mondeo. And I
          suppose the more racy recumbants are probably equivalent to the racy
          cars.

          The crest of a hill is a hazard just like any corner and should be
          treated as such. Drivers should be able to stop in the distance they can
          see to be clear and so should be able to stop when they come across an
          unexpected parked vehicle or debris after the crest. However you may
          want to assume they won't and therefore take extra caution immediately
          over a crest or any gradient that obscures the road ahead. I don't see
          recumbants being significantly worse than uprights for the above reasons
          though.

          Andy Cohen wrote:
          > Yes, you're in a very vulnerable position after cresting a hill,
          > because you've just become invisible to following cars. Some recommend

          > crossing over to the left lane for a while after cresting a hill, to
          > stay out of that particular "kill zone."
          >
          > - Andy
          >
          > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:
          >

          >> [...] the other day I was on my Big Dummy after just
          >> coming over a hill and an SUV sped up behind me and nearly hit me
          >> because they almost did not see me over the hood of their car after
          >> coming over the hill. I was unloaded at the time, so I did not have
          >> any long cargo for them to hit, but if I had been on a tri-cycle
          >> recumbent like the CargoMonster with its wider wheel base and lower
          >> visibility threshold, I would hate to think what might have happened.
          >>
          >> Ride safe,
          >> _TONE_

        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
            Actually, when I'm on my 'bent, I find that drivers tend to give me a wider berth than when I'm on one of my uprights.

          • Morgan Scherer
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
              I've been a recumbent rider for years, and only came to uprights because of the xtracycle. I saw a pic of an xtracycle attachment on a P-38 (which was the kind of recumbent I had at the time too). I ended up going with an upright bike to attach the x to. I was worried that having passengers on a recumbent x would be hard, because of the relatively higher center of gravity of the passengers. Has anyone had experience with this?

              Morgan S.
              Sent from my Treo(r) smartphone

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
                TerraCycle recommends not carrying passengers on their Cargo Monster. At least they'd have a great view. :P

                Rick

                "Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use."  – Charles Schulz

                assistant (to the) visual manager  | rick@...
                888.537-1401 x709 | find your eleventh gear