RE: [rootsradicals] Now recumbents can join the fun!

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
      Wow, an Xtracycle-compatible extension for recumbent bikes. I think it is
      pretty awesome someone developed that. I imagine at least one of the
      benefits is the bike would not tip to one side while loading an
      unbalanced load. I would have two concerns about using a recumbent
      Xtracycle:
      1) In general recumbents are not as easily seen by drivers because they
      are low to the ground. That is why many recumbent I see usually have a
      flag pole in the back. I would imagine a recumbent with a longer
      wheelbase and cargo extending behind it might make it more susceptible to
      accidents with drivers.
      2) From the looks of the photos it appears as if the CargoMonster might
      be limited to a certain length for its cargo. In terms of cargo lengths
      the imagines only show 7’ fence posts and a 6’ ladder. The six foot
      ladder appears like it might be rear-heavy, but both photos give the
      sense that whatever long load you have is limited to coming forward only
      up to the reclined seat. With a standard Xtracycle or Big Dummy, long
      cargo items used in conjunction with a wide loader and long hauler can
      almost be indefinite in length. I say this because the long hauler keeps
      any long items from touching your pedaling area and front wheel’s turning
      zone. In theory, someone could load a 20’ pole and ride it down a closed
      course straight-away. Obviously any typical rider would be limited to a
      load they could realistically carry in auto-traffic sharing conditions,
      but I personally have carried 12’ planks on both sides of my Xtracycle
      through Brooklyn, NY streets.
      By the looks of it I do not think the CargoMonster could do the same
      unless a specific wider-made long-hauler was created for it. However,
      that would certainly increase the angle of any long loads extending to
      either side. With an Xtracycle/Big Dummy its length capacity is really
      only limited to traffic/maneuverability issues or carrying multiple
      lengthy items on both sides where either side’s cargo touches each other
      in the rear. However, as I have stated I have comfortably hauled 12’
      items on both sides. Such cargo basically comes forward to the front
      wheel and extends to almost as wide as a car lane. I think 13’ or 14’
      lengths might be capable of being carried simultaneously on both sides
      without too much more width on a road, but it would have to come further
      ahead of the front wheel. Also, the issues of wobbliness are exaggerated
      when carrying longer loads, especially with lumber, which has its own
      amount of bounce/flex. I think wobbliness and control probably determine
      what kind of load can safely be ridden with.
      Either way, I like knowing I can pick up 8’ 4x4 posts, 10’ 2x4s, or 12’
      planks at a local lumber/hardware store. Not being on a recumbent also
      provides the benefit of being seen by drivers more easily as well as
      being at about the same seating height as they are so I can signal I have
      a longer/larger load, which they might not see because their hood or
      passenger-side door prevents visibility. With a recumbent I would be way
      more paranoid. As it is the other day I was on my Big Dummy after just
      coming over a hill and an SUV sped up behind me and nearly hit me because
      they almost did not see me over the hood of their car after coming over
      the hill. I was unloaded at the time, so I did not have any long cargo
      for them to hit, but if I had been on a tri-cycle recumbent like the
      CargoMonster with its wider wheel base and lower visibility threshold, I
      would hate to think what might have happened.

      Ride safe,
      _TONE_
    • Andy Cohen

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
          After seven years of peddling a recumbent trike with lots and
          lots of hills all around me in my area of Wisconsin I've
          never been tagged by a motor vehicle maybe because I wear
          a safety green vest and a fluorescent orange slow moving
          vehicle sign on back. You can continue to worry of you
          want to but I thought I would take precautionary measures upon
          myself to alert motorists to avoid collisions. Its worked so
          far but you never know about the future I suppose. They say,
          A once of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

          Andy Cohen wrote:
          > Yes, you're in a very vulnerable position after cresting a hill, because
          > you've just become invisible to following cars. Some recommend crossing over
          > to the left lane for a while after cresting a hill, to stay out of that
          > particular "kill zone."
          >
          > - Andy
          >
          > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:
          >

          >> [...] the other day I was on my Big Dummy after just
          >> coming over a hill and an SUV sped up behind me and nearly hit me because
          >> they almost did not see me over the hood of their car after coming over
          >> the hill. I was unloaded at the time, so I did not have any long cargo
          >> for them to hit, but if I had been on a tri-cycle recumbent like the
          >> CargoMonster with its wider wheel base and lower visibility threshold, I
          >> would hate to think what might have happened.
          >>
          >> Ride safe,
          >> _TONE_

        • Travers, Neil
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
            I'm not a recumbent rider, but I've read in quite a few places that most
            upright riders overestimate how low a recumbent rider really is. I've
            seen it said that many are at eye level with drivers of normal cars
            (that's UK, not super sized US ones) - e.g. Ford Focus/Mondeo. And I
            suppose the more racy recumbants are probably equivalent to the racy
            cars.

            The crest of a hill is a hazard just like any corner and should be
            treated as such. Drivers should be able to stop in the distance they can
            see to be clear and so should be able to stop when they come across an
            unexpected parked vehicle or debris after the crest. However you may
            want to assume they won't and therefore take extra caution immediately
            over a crest or any gradient that obscures the road ahead. I don't see
            recumbants being significantly worse than uprights for the above reasons
            though.

            Andy Cohen wrote:
            > Yes, you're in a very vulnerable position after cresting a hill,
            > because you've just become invisible to following cars. Some recommend

            > crossing over to the left lane for a while after cresting a hill, to
            > stay out of that particular "kill zone."
            >
            > - Andy
            >
            > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:
            >

            >> [...] the other day I was on my Big Dummy after just
            >> coming over a hill and an SUV sped up behind me and nearly hit me
            >> because they almost did not see me over the hood of their car after
            >> coming over the hill. I was unloaded at the time, so I did not have
            >> any long cargo for them to hit, but if I had been on a tri-cycle
            >> recumbent like the CargoMonster with its wider wheel base and lower
            >> visibility threshold, I would hate to think what might have happened.
            >>
            >> Ride safe,
            >> _TONE_

          • Bruce Alan Wilson
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
              Actually, when I'm on my 'bent, I find that drivers tend to give me a wider berth than when I'm on one of my uprights.

            • Morgan Scherer
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
                I've been a recumbent rider for years, and only came to uprights because of the xtracycle. I saw a pic of an xtracycle attachment on a P-38 (which was the kind of recumbent I had at the time too). I ended up going with an upright bike to attach the x to. I was worried that having passengers on a recumbent x would be hard, because of the relatively higher center of gravity of the passengers. Has anyone had experience with this?

                Morgan S.
                Sent from my Treo(r) smartphone

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
                  TerraCycle recommends not carrying passengers on their Cargo Monster. At least they'd have a great view. :P

                  Rick

                  "Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use."  – Charles Schulz

                  assistant (to the) visual manager  | rick@...
                  888.537-1401 x709 | find your eleventh gear