Re:Looking for a cheap way to build a loaner.

  • stitzljq
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2009
      I recently made myself a pair of V-racks and WideLoaders... it really was quite easy. I ended up buying a conduit bender (under 30$) and doing it myself, but I know that's not for everyone.

      As far as attaching the Snapdeck, I bought conduit clamps ( I think that's what they're called)... in the Electrical supply aisle at the hardware store, right next to where I bought the conduit itself. The clamps are just U shaped pieces of steel that are made to fit around a specific diameter of tubing. They have one or two tabs on the sides, with holes to put screws through. Of course, if you screw the Snapdeck to the V-racks, it's not coming off easily... but in my case I prefer strength over removability. Anyway, I bought a six pack of the clamps for under 2$. Definitely an economical solution :0)

      Here's what they look like: http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/Conduit%20Clamp.jpg

      - Joel

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
        Joel,
        I imagine you could actually easily modify those standard conduit clamps
        you bought to act like normal snap-hooks by simply cutting them down a
        little. I would worry a little about using a conduit clamp with a single
        screw hole because there really is not anything to stop such a modified
        the clamp from rotating around the screw. It might be easy enough to cut
        in around the edges of the clamp and bend them down to form “teeth”,
        which would bite into the snap deck to prevent rotation around the screw.
        If you look at the snap-pieces from Xtracycle you will see they have
        small pins, which perform this purpose.
        By the way, my impression of the snap deck is that its strength at
        staying snapped in place is more a question of how compressed between the
        slightly-spread V-racks it is than how screwed in the snap-hooks are. I
        find the removability of the snap-deck is a major strength because it
        allows me to conveniently access the space between my Freeloaders to
        adjust my rear disc brake, brush off built up muck/ice on my rear fender,
        or inspect my rear tire for punctures/etc. without having to get down on
        the ground or tip over the bike.