Looking for a cheap way to build a loaner.

  • Wes T
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2009
      I recently upgraded to a Big Dummy and couldn't be happier with the switch. My original plan was to sell off my old free radical and probably the rest of the bike that used to be my xtracycle. However, after thinking about it for a while I kind of like the idea of having an xtracycle that people could try out if they were on the fence about whether or not a cargo bike would be for them. I have plenty of bike parts sitting around, the only thing I would have to pony up for is a replacement V rack & bags (without these I can't see that it would be much use to try out an xtracycle). I really think a lot more people would take the xtracycle plunge if they just had a chance to use one before they had to fork down $500 or more for one. So question is, does anyone here have a used (but at least still functional) V-rack and freeloader bags? Xtracycle, do you have any factory seconds or otherwise blemished products you would let go to me cheap? It's just an idea, and if I can do it without putting large holes in my wallet I think it'd be fun to try.

      Thanks,
      Wes
    • Zoe Neal
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2009
        Wes,

        I find myself in a similar situation; I've recently upgraded to a B.D. and now have an extra freeradical with no accessories.  I've been told by a credible source that the v-racks  can be easily home made with 7/8" conduit and a conduit bender.  Tomorrow I plan to drop by an electronics supply store and see if they can't make me another set of v-Racks (and maybe 2 pairs of wideloaders while they're at it).  I'll let you know how that goes.  If this works out I've several friends who are handy with a sewing machine and should be able make something similar to the freeloader bags.
        The snapdeck should be easy except for the hooks that bolt to the bottom.  Has anyone come up with a good home-made solution?

        -Zoe
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2009
          If all else fails, try a muffler shop. I first heard about this from guys who build recumbents (get the muffler shop to bend the tubes, then you do all the brazing), and we used a local one to make some railing. Not only did they do a great job, they even spotted the error in my prototype (I did get a conduit bender for this and for other purposes, years ago) and fixed it properly.

          One problem, both cases, is that the conduit is aluminum, not steel. Aluminum is lighter, and when you whack your wideloaders into an immovable object, it gives way, instead of your frame.

          You can buy the hooks from xtracycle.

          http://www.xtracycle.com/snaphook.html

          I have done this myself, and made a replacement deck.

          David

          On 2009-11-29, at 9:11 PM, Zoe Neal wrote:

          > Wes,
          >
          > I find myself in a similar situation; I've recently upgraded to a B.D. and now have an extra freeradical with no accessories. I've been told by a credible source that the v-racks can be easily home made with 7/8" conduit and a conduit bender. Tomorrow I plan to drop by an electronics supply store and see if they can't make me another set of v-Racks (and maybe 2 pairs of wideloaders while they're at it). I'll let you know how that goes. If this works out I've several friends who are handy with a sewing machine and should be able make something similar to the freeloader bags.
          > The snapdeck should be easy except for the hooks that bolt to the bottom. Has anyone come up with a good home-made solution?
          >
          > -Zoe
        • Dave Lloyd
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2009
            For the Snapdeck, you could just use scrap plywood. Use tee nuts and P-clamps with screws (tee nuts go in the top so that they clamp the wood more tightly the tighter the screws get) to fasten on to the V-racks.  I've found 1" and 3/4" P-clamps at the hardware store, and the 1" p-clamps work fine if you shim the v-racks with a bit of cloth or cork tape. Make sure the bars spread a bit so that you tension the whole thing.  Best to measure how far apart the racks are when the snap deck is on so you get the correct spacing without stressing the V-racks too much.

            This is the way I've attached my double kid seat to the V-racks on my Xtracycle and the whole assembly is very secure.

            --dlloyd

            On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 20:11, Zoe Neal <zoeneal@...> wrote:

            Wes,

            I find myself in a similar situation; I've recently upgraded to a B.D. and now have an extra freeradical with no accessories.  I've been told by a credible source that the v-racks  can be easily home made with 7/8" conduit and a conduit bender.  Tomorrow I plan to drop by an electronics supply store and see if they can't make me another set of v-Racks (and maybe 2 pairs of wideloaders while they're at it).  I'll let you know how that goes.  If this works out I've several friends who are handy with a sewing machine and should be able make something similar to the freeloader bags.
            The snapdeck should be easy except for the hooks that bolt to the bottom.  Has anyone come up with a good home-made solution?

            -Zoe

          • brianlaplander
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 29, 2009
              I've made two sets of v racks and one set of wideloaders with 7/8" aluminum tubing and a conduit bender. Its a piece of cake. plus very affordable (about 8 bucks per side.) I also made a set of bags with attaching hardware much like that of a pannier so they are removable with out taking the v racks off the bike.
            • jameshensel@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2009

                Any sizeable boat dealership that makes canvas tops will have the right size tubing in aluminum and the capability to bend it.

                The buttons can be obtained at McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3291

                Jim

              • stitzljq
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2009
                  I recently made myself a pair of V-racks and WideLoaders... it really was quite easy. I ended up buying a conduit bender (under 30$) and doing it myself, but I know that's not for everyone.

                  As far as attaching the Snapdeck, I bought conduit clamps ( I think that's what they're called)... in the Electrical supply aisle at the hardware store, right next to where I bought the conduit itself. The clamps are just U shaped pieces of steel that are made to fit around a specific diameter of tubing. They have one or two tabs on the sides, with holes to put screws through. Of course, if you screw the Snapdeck to the V-racks, it's not coming off easily... but in my case I prefer strength over removability. Anyway, I bought a six pack of the clamps for under 2$. Definitely an economical solution :0)

                  Here's what they look like: http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/Conduit%20Clamp.jpg

                  - Joel

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
                    Joel,
                    I imagine you could actually easily modify those standard conduit clamps
                    you bought to act like normal snap-hooks by simply cutting them down a
                    little. I would worry a little about using a conduit clamp with a single
                    screw hole because there really is not anything to stop such a modified
                    the clamp from rotating around the screw. It might be easy enough to cut
                    in around the edges of the clamp and bend them down to form “teeth”,
                    which would bite into the snap deck to prevent rotation around the screw.
                    If you look at the snap-pieces from Xtracycle you will see they have
                    small pins, which perform this purpose.
                    By the way, my impression of the snap deck is that its strength at
                    staying snapped in place is more a question of how compressed between the
                    slightly-spread V-racks it is than how screwed in the snap-hooks are. I
                    find the removability of the snap-deck is a major strength because it
                    allows me to conveniently access the space between my Freeloaders to
                    adjust my rear disc brake, brush off built up muck/ice on my rear fender,
                    or inspect my rear tire for punctures/etc. without having to get down on
                    the ground or tip over the bike.