Re: Looking for suggestions

  • David Dannenberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 26, 2009
      I would definitely use stronger fabric for the mesh area. I poked a
      hole in mine pretty quickly.

      I would also reinforce the fabric where it makes contact with a disk
      caliper and other wear points. Personally I would not double the fabric.

      And I'd figure out a way to carry the wide loaders, un-installed, out
      of the way somewhere.

      HTH

      David
    • Liz W. Durham
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 26, 2009

        Grommeted drain holes! Yes! Even if you create a waterproof bag, the holes would be a great back-up.

        If you are into multi-usage…you could design an outer over-flap that could, if need be, be used up over the top of the snap deck to secure items on the snap deck. After all, an over-flap for the free loaders is really only necessary if it is raining.

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 27, 2009
          Regarding the inner pockets, I've thought about taking a cue from the
          army and covering the inside of the freeloaders with molle-style
          straps. That would let you attach all sorts of pouches inside in a
          secure but removable way, depending on what you needed to carry. There
          are literaly hundreds of these pouches available from surplus shops
          and sites. Granted, most are designed to carry guns or ammo clips, but
          there are still plenty that serve wider purposes.

          On Thursday, November 26, 2009, Liz W. Durham <lizwdurham@...> wrote:

          > Grommeted drain holes! Yes! Even if you create a waterproof bag,
          > the holes would be a great back-up.
          >

          > If you are into multi-usage…you could design an outer
          > over-flap that could, if need be, be used up over the top of the snap deck to secure
          > items on the snap deck. After all, an over-flap for the free loaders is really
          > only necessary if it is raining.

        • philip_b_chase
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 28, 2009
            Yeah, I guess you could carry a lot of weaponry in an Xtracycle, but it's all behind you--kind of hard to reach while you're riding. I think a wicker basket in the front would be a lot more accessible. ;-)

            Philip

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 28, 2009
              I'd been thinking that it ought to be possible to put a sheath for a machete under the snapdeck, with the handle sticking out just behind the seat. On the other hand, with a little front rack, you could mount it vertically in front -- perfect for a little on-the-fly brush trimming on your daily commute.

              Not sure either would be legal here in Massachusetts.

              On 2009-11-28, at 8:21 AM, philip_b_chase wrote:

              > Yeah, I guess you could carry a lot of weaponry in an Xtracycle, but it's all behind you--kind of hard to reach while you're riding. I think a wicker basket in the front would be a lot more accessible. ;-)
              >
              > Philip
              >
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Liam Casey <zyzzyva23@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Regarding the inner pockets, I've thought about taking a cue from the
              > > army and covering the inside of the freeloaders with molle-style
              > > straps. That would let you attach all sorts of pouches inside in a
              > > secure but removable way, depending on what you needed to carry. There
              > > are literaly hundreds of these pouches available from surplus shops
              > > and sites. Granted, most are designed to carry guns or ammo clips, but
              > > there are still plenty that serve wider purposes.

            • dianedouglas8
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2009
                I agree that having a rain flap would be useful, however, you'd need to make accommodations for the center buckle. If you ever used the buckles for a big or unwieldy load, they need to be able to wrap across the snapdeck. If you do design rain flaps for the Freeloaders, just make sure to split them in the middle to fit the center buckle. I'd suggest copious amounts of hook and loop material to insure the best possible rain coverage despite the center slit.

                Scott