Need advice...

  • stitzljq
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2009
      So, I recently bought a Big Dummy frame and, fancying myself to be a handy sort of fellow, thought "It can't be that hard to make my own V-racks, Free Loader bags, and Wide Loaders... well, I've run into a snag and I could use some advice.

      I bought some aluminum tubing and bent it into shape, no problem. But when comparing what I'd fabricated to the holes on my Dummy (which I assume are identical to those on a Free Radical, seeing as how they share the exact same accessories) I got a little confused. The rear-most tube for the V-rack to slide into has no obstructions and the rack is able to slide down all the way and rest at the bottom of the tube. However, the tube that's farther forward has a couple of threaded holes in it. These holes extend into the tube and prevent the V-rack from sliding all the way down into the tube...

      I'm not sure if this is normal. It seems counter-intuitive to have a potentially large amount of weight being carried on the rear of a cargo bike and a large portion of that weight resting on such a tiny piece of metal.

      I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is normal, and also what those threaded holes are for.

      I hope this makes sense, it's a simple concept really, but hard to describe with words alone.

      Thanks!

      - Joel
    • Bill Bonney
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2009
        I would advise you to check this wiki

        It should have all the answers you need.

        The answer is that the boss hog bolts the frame to freerad and that is where the v-racks rest. Iooking at the BS picture on the surely site it looks like you need the same systems of a bolt for the v-rack to rest on.

        Hope this helps :)

        Bill

        2009/11/9 stitzljq <stitzljq@...>

[...]

      • Sean Moore
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2009
          The tubes don't hold in compression, they hold in torsion.  You'll be fine.
          --
          Sean Moore
          moore.sean@...