Re: [rootsradicals] Lighting: in praise of the Down Low Glow!

  • Rick Pickett
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009

      On Nov 5, 2009, at 1:44 PM, dianedouglas8 wrote:

      Hello Roots Radicals,

      After last weekend's time shift backward off daylight savings, many of us are commuting home from jobs during a much darker time of the day. Although I've seen threads supporting this blinky vs. that front strobe; I wanted to give a personal shout out to my favorite new light system, the Down Low Glow from Rock the Bike.

      Commuting around town in DC, I can say that this thing really works! Not only do people now see me, they stop and stare at the lovely blue glow beneath my BD.

      I don't have much experience with rechargeable battery based light systems, but I'll try to give everyone updates as I use it.

      I had a couple of questions I wanted to pose to the group:

      Considering the effect cold weather has on rechargeable batteries, do others remove their battery at night? (Particularly if you store your Xtras in an unheated area.)

      I keep mine indoors, so can't say.

      Should I be concerned with charge memory effects on the batteries?

      Like any battery, a full discharge is a no-no. A dual tube setup lasts 2-hours roughly, so, keep it at that or under and you should be fine. 3-hour for a single tube I think.

      What's the best way to keep my glow bright and long-lasting?

      Keep the tube clean and scratch free.

      locus
      Washington, DC
      (..Who's praying he doesn't run over a tea-bagger on the way home!)

      Rick "Rockin' the Dual Tube DLG" Pickett
      Oakland, CA

      "Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use."  – Charles Schulz

      assistant (to the) visual manager  | rick@...
      888.537-1401 x709 | find your eleventh gear

    • Carl Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
        Hey Mate!

        I too have and am a big fan of DLG's I have been running them for 2 years, no mem issues. The only issue is i want another pair and I can't afford them right now. But yes you will be seen, My ride is 2hrs 20 min long and half is in the dark.
        I am going to get the fast smart charger because of the shorter days. I have two batteries and that helps.

        way to go in DC. Maybe we can have Obama run a Cash for clunkers bike program with a pair of DLGs thrown in for free!!!

        Peace from California,

        Carl

        --
        “A plant, which is a living and breathing entity, has the ability to understand and work in synchrony with the body’s internal needs, in harmony with the vital force within us, to heal and give life”

        -Donald R. Yance
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2009
          Locus,
          I have a blue dual-tube Down Low Glow (DLG) on my Big Dummy as well. I
          have had the DLG for a number of years, even back when I was still
          working as a messenger in NYC with my Xtracycle. Though I must admit I
          disconnected it from my bike not long after installing it due to paranoia
          from both theft and wet weather. I of course took water-proofing
          precautions, but when your DLG is out in the rain over eight hours in any
          given day you have to worry a little about whether the vinyl cloak you
          made for it is enough.
          Fortunately for me it was, but I still removed the DLG from my bike for
          my daily working routine and reserved the DLG for special occasions.
          Eventually I stopped messengering and moved to York, PA where I
          encountered the same issues of commuting to work in the early morning
          darkness as you did. That is when I reinstalled my DLG as a permanent
          fixture on my bike, but set up better than it ever was before.
          I ordered a plastic water bottle cage storage capsule/container from
          Nashbar for about $3-4, cut a small rectangle out of the bottom, which
          was just big enough to slide in the controller box for the DLG system,
          then I adhered another strip of Velcro on the inside of the capsule to
          keep the controller box from rattling around inside. At that point all I
          have to do is pop open the container lid, insert the DLG battery into the
          bottle-capsule along side the controller and connect the two via their
          plugs. When I want to turn the system on or off all I have to do is open
          the bottle-capsule and flip the DLG power switch. When I want to recharge
          the battery I once again open the capsule, unplug the battery and go.
          There is no more need to repeatedly disengage the various Velcro straps
          and no worries about hitting a bump hard enough, which might rattle the
          Velcro straps loose, especially after they wear out over time from being
          open and closed so much.
          Obviously having the guts of the DLG system all inside one enclosure
          keeps it fairly protected from the weather as well as a little more
          out-of-sight-out-of-mind from potential thieves of opportunity. I believe
          Rock the Bike has actually made some improvements with additional
          water-proofing features to their DLG since the version I first bought.
          Therefore there should not be as many worries about exposing the system
          to rain, but regardless the capsule just makes disconnecting the battery
          way easier, makes the system look even slicker, and provides just a
          little bit more stow-away capacity for that extra patch kit, energy bar,
          and/or keys.
          1) Photo of lit up DLG on my Big Dummy while locked up on my porch with
          another bike:
          http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DLG-LitOnPorch.jpg
          2) Photo of primarily DLG system set up:
          http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DLG-BottleCapsule.jpg
          3) Photo of close up of capsule with open lid and interior:
          http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DLG-CapsuleOpen.jpg
          4) Photo of close up of bottom of capsule with cut out hole:
          http://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DLG-CapsuleBottom.jpg
          One note I should point out to anyone else thinking about rigging up a
          DLG set up like mine is to make sure you first insert both the controller
          AND battery into the capsule to determine interior fit/sizing issues
          BEFORE sticking the strip of Velcro onto an interior wall of the capsule.

          Locus,
          I realize the description of my set up did not answer your direct
          questions, but I thought you and others might appreciate it. Now to
          actually get to your inquiries…
          I am no battery expert either. In fact I admittedly get mixed up about
          all the different rechargeable battery types, the way they perform, and
          the best way to maintain them that way. My approach is basically to
          disconnect and recharge the DLG battery over night after a ride when I
          have noticed it fading down enough. In the past my commute was roughly
          20-30 minutes one-way, and I only had to use the DLG in the dark early
          mornings. That meant I could charge the DLG on Sunday night and get
          enough charge for an entire work-week. Usually by Wednesday or Thursday I
          would notice some fade, so I would just take it in then for recharge.
          Recharging it over Thursday night would also mean it would be pretty well
          charged for any extended-run Friday or Saturday night excursions.
          I can not say I have really noticed the cold having any extremely harsh
          effect on the DLG, and I definitely ride in sub-zero temperatures as well
          as keep my bike locked out on the porch. I generally keep my ride as
          maintenance free as possible, so I tend to allow myself to forget about
          doing any kind of maintenance on a regular basis unless it is
          specifically a daily routine. Therefore the DLG battery is usually just
          sitting in the capsule day in and day out, even if it is not used during
          those day-light seasonal periods. When it is not being regularly used
          during those winter months, which do provide enough light, I do try to
          remember to simply keep the battery inside or at least carry the
          relatively charged up battery in my bag, which comes inside with me
          wherever I go.

          About a year ago my DLG stopped working. At that point I had not used it
          for a long time because one of those seasonally-lit periods had passed. I
          figured I must have allowed the battery enough time to fade out
          completely. I contacted Rock the Bike and ended up mailing it all to then
          with the understanding that it might cost me something like $14 for labor
          and return delivery on-top of the possible battery replacement, which I
          forgot the additional price of. I did not mind the price because I had
          owned the DLG for over three years by then and really enjoyed/appreciated
          it.
          When they got it and looked it over, they e-mailed me to tell me my
          battery still had something like 70% of its original charge capacity,
          which they thought was extremely good considering how long I had owned it
          for. They also located the actual problem with the wiring connection
          inside the controller box and recommended I just stick with my original
          battery. I agreed because I did not see why I should waste a decent
          battery (or shell out so much additional money for no real benefit).
          After maybe another week had gone by I received a package from Rock the
          Bike with my repaired DLG system. From its appearance it looks like Rock
          the Bike also reinforced the seams and wire entry point of the controller
          box with epoxy or sealant.
          I was actually surprised when I got back the working DLG system because I
          thought I was waiting to hear back from Rock the Bike about the status of
          my repair being complete, exactly how much the repair would cost, and
          what way I should pay for it. Instead, all I ended up paying for was the
          one-way shipping of the DLG to them. I presume once they actually got
          inside and saw the problem they figured the repair was covered in their
          warrantee or something.

          I hope this helps answer some of your questions.
          Ride safe,
          _TONE_
        • Carl Ray

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2009
              I am not a paid company hack, fyi.

              Y'all might want to look into the the website for CleverCycles. They
              have them on sale right now at something like 40% off.

              jj