2 kegs 1 bike

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
      A buddy of mine at one of my local shops posted his experience returning kegs.
      http://www.velocult.com/index.php/blog/post/hauling_two_kegs_with_a_bicycle/

      He really pushes commuting here in San Diego.
      I need to get him in the test ride list. they'll lend you one for a couple of days to try out.

      http://www.velocult.com
      http://wwwsdbikecommuter.com

    • Steve Lange
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
        On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Drew <shringara2@...> wrote:

        A buddy of mine at one of my local shops posted his experience returning kegs.
        http://www.velocult.com/index.php/blog/post/hauling_two_kegs_with_a_bicycle/

        He really pushes commuting here in San Diego.
        I need to get him in the test ride list. they'll lend you one for a couple of days to try out.

        That's rad, but it's important to note the kegs were empty. In my experience with an Xtracycle to date, trying to haul two full kegs (or an equivalent weight) would really be pushing it... Maybe on a Big Dummy, but almost certainly not on an Xtracycle. It would be noodle-city.

        That said, I'll be happy to be proven wrong! Sadly my days of needing to get two full kegs anywhere are long since over.

        Steve

      • Andrew Kreps
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
          On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Steve Lange <steve@...> wrote:

          That's rad, but it's important to note the kegs were empty. In my experience with an Xtracycle to date, trying to haul two full kegs (or an equivalent weight) would really be pushing it... Maybe on a Big Dummy, but almost certainly not on an Xtracycle. It would be noodle-city.

          Wikipedia states that filled to capacity, a quarter/pony keg weighs around 90lbs, and a full size keg weighs between 140 and 170 lbs.  The weight alone would cause issues, but you also have liquid sloshing around in there...a recipe for disaster.  Or at least a fun youtube clip.

          Dig the self-portrait!

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
            best use yet......

            830 446 3114 -  asynchronous communication

          • Rick Pickett
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
              For those seeking full-keg relief:

              http://www.xtracyclegallery.com/2009/03/311-xtracycle-sidekeg.html

              :D .  The first party I threw in San Diego consisted of 6 co-workers, the garage and 1 keg. Sad days.

              "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

              artistic shenaniganizer | rick@...
              888.537-1401 x709 | every day adventure

              On Nov 3, 2009, at 10:38 PM, Bill wrote:

              best use yet......

              830 446 3114 -  asynchronous communication

            • Liz W. Durham
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009

                Awesome photo! So, is that rigger up like a sidecar so to speak?