Abusing your Big Dummy

  • philip_b_chase
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      Andrew's concern for the my headset has got my wondering how much people abuse their Big Dummies. I'm hoping to start a "Kids, don't try this at home with your BD" thread.

      My latest stupid behavior is curb drops with load. My son and I have time to kill in the mornings between his sister's school bus pickup and the start of his school so we ride around the school parking lot goofing around. So with him and two backpacks on the back we ride up every ramp we can find and drop off the nearest curb. In one spot we go up the ramp over tree roots and then off the curb.

      Three times a week I pick up a kid at swimming and ride off road over some nasty tree roots to take the short cut home. Last week I took the BD down a short flight of stairs. At least for that one I didn't have a kid on the back ;-)

      I was being nice to my BD and my cargo but lately I've just decided my bike should take me where I want to go. I found it amuses me and the cargo. So far the BD has not complained.

      So how cruel are you to your BD?

      Philip
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
        unfortunately, one day, a pedestrian made a right face, directly in front of me, i swerved, and squarely nailed a wooden bollard on the bike path, with the right hand wideloader, ripping it straight off, leaving a piece in the BD in the forward section.
        BD goes into the air
        i went over the bars
        when the bike hit the ground, destroyed a 2 day old rear wheel.

        basically that sucked!

        d-

        On Nov 2, 2009, at 6:44 PM, philip_b_chase wrote:

[...]

      • Andrew Kreps
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
          On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM, philip_b_chase <philipbchase@...> wrote:

          > So how cruel are you to your BD?

          Let me count the ways.

          Commuting through all kinds of weather? Check.

          Jumping off of curbs? Check.

          Overloading the GBWR with three passengers? Check.

          Riding off-road down and around Smith Rock loaded with racks and ropes? Check.

          Destroying a rear wheel in less than 1300 miles? Check.

          Taking a piece out of a concrete flower box with my wideloader? Double check.

          I have photos of most of these events. I'll post them up for all to
          see. The rear wheel was a serious job. The sidewall of the rim (not
          the tire) gave out. Every drive-side spoke has developed cracks from
          trying to rip through the rim. I'm a walking advertisement for doing
          it right the second time. :) Next up, learning how to wheelie drop!