Re: [rootsradicals] Rims, hubs, brakes for Big Dummy?

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2009
      ???
      strange
      this is the convert job i had used for a couple of years, it had a 203 on the rear.

      when i built the BD i used the same parts
      the 203 for the rear of the BD fit, but for ease of mechanical repair while not in the shop,
      i chose 185

      here's the pic of 203 on the BD

      On Nov 2, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Rick Pickett wrote:

      On Nov 2, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Devian Gilbert wrote:

      so use a 185mm rotor on the rear.
      203mm up front works fine.

      You might be able to get a 185mm on a Big Dummy, but we'd love to see a 185mm on a FreeRadical.

      Cheers,
      Rick

      "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling."  – James E. Starrs

      artistic shenaniganizer | rick@xtracycle. com
      888.537-1401 x709 | every day adventure

    • philip_b_chase
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2009
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM, philip_b_chase <philipbchase@...> wrote:
        > > Unloaded, the backend of an Xtracycle skitters all around in braking.  The long tail shifts
        > > so much weight forward the unloaded X drives like an unloaded pick up truck.  So you'll
        > > use the front almost exclusively when unloaded.
        >
        > I've only ever ridden the Big Dummy type of Xtracycle, but I've never
        > had this problem. Using only the front brake on a bike like this puts
        > a lot of stress in the head tube area, and can cause problems down the
        > road. I wonder if the problem here lies in the frame geometry? It
        > sound like the rider's weight may be placed too far forward.

        Yeah my memories with this were with a X on my wife's old frame. That frame was a bit small for me. I'm on a BD now and don't recall having this problem with it, but I rarely ride it empty either, so I can't say I have good comparative data.

        Suffice to say, weight in the rear enhances track and improves load distribution. When I do extreme braking with heavy load the rear tire doesn't lock up. It's *never* happened.

        As to excessive head tube stress, I'm not worried. When the bike is light in the rear I'm more concerned the backend grip the pavement during braking than with the long term health of my headset. Besides I bet the headset load is way higher when I have to slam on both brakes when my cargo has double the mass I have to stop.

        Philip
      • Drew
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
          A buddy of mine at one of my local shops posted his experience returning kegs.
          http://www.velocult.com/index.php/blog/post/hauling_two_kegs_with_a_bicycle/

          He really pushes commuting here in San Diego.
          I need to get him in the test ride list. they'll lend you one for a couple of days to try out.

          http://www.velocult.com
          http://wwwsdbikecommuter.com

        • Steve Lange
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
            On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Drew <shringara2@...> wrote:

            A buddy of mine at one of my local shops posted his experience returning kegs.
            http://www.velocult.com/index.php/blog/post/hauling_two_kegs_with_a_bicycle/

            He really pushes commuting here in San Diego.
            I need to get him in the test ride list. they'll lend you one for a couple of days to try out.

            That's rad, but it's important to note the kegs were empty. In my experience with an Xtracycle to date, trying to haul two full kegs (or an equivalent weight) would really be pushing it... Maybe on a Big Dummy, but almost certainly not on an Xtracycle. It would be noodle-city.

            That said, I'll be happy to be proven wrong! Sadly my days of needing to get two full kegs anywhere are long since over.

            Steve

          • Andrew Kreps
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
              On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Steve Lange <steve@...> wrote:

              That's rad, but it's important to note the kegs were empty. In my experience with an Xtracycle to date, trying to haul two full kegs (or an equivalent weight) would really be pushing it... Maybe on a Big Dummy, but almost certainly not on an Xtracycle. It would be noodle-city.

              Wikipedia states that filled to capacity, a quarter/pony keg weighs around 90lbs, and a full size keg weighs between 140 and 170 lbs.  The weight alone would cause issues, but you also have liquid sloshing around in there...a recipe for disaster.  Or at least a fun youtube clip.

              Dig the self-portrait!

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
                best use yet......

                830 446 3114 -  asynchronous communication

              • Rick Pickett
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 3, 2009
                  For those seeking full-keg relief:

                  http://www.xtracyclegallery.com/2009/03/311-xtracycle-sidekeg.html

                  :D .  The first party I threw in San Diego consisted of 6 co-workers, the garage and 1 keg. Sad days.

                  On Nov 3, 2009, at 10:38 PM, Bill wrote:

                  best use yet......

                  830 446 3114 -  asynchronous communication

                • Liz W. Durham
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009

                    Awesome photo! So, is that rigger up like a sidecar so to speak?