Re: [rootsradicals] alternative footsies

  • Ryano
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11 7:57 AM
      Generally the passenger quickly gets used to it and the wobbles tend to disappear after a bit of practice, and then you can travel at low speeds just fine.  But I did take one old geyser one time who just could not sit still for the life of him so we gave up.  It also helps if you have a nice wide handle bar.  I switched my bars out recently to some big chopper like things and that helps even more with balance.

      If you have kids and you are still worried, use a trailer.  I have both a trailer and the xtracycle, and though I personally think the xtracycle is heaps much more fun, the trailer is undeniably safer for small kids - especially if they have a tendency to nod off to sleep...  For giving older kids and adults a quick ride of course, the xtra is just the ticket, and great fun.

      On 11/04/07, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

      At 9:17 AM -0400 11/4/07, David Chase wrote:
      >I have carried passengers, but I find that the handling
      >is far worse past 50kg. Is this just a matter of my kids
      >wiggling, when they should be sitting still? I weigh just
      >about 100kg myself, and I'm strong, and I've got good
      >balance. Am I trying to ride too fast?

      I think the weight distribution is the issue. Two kids with a
      combined weight of 60Kg affects my handling greater than one adult of
      90Kg. This is because with two kids the weight is further back. The
      passenger must sit forward of the axle and lean forwards. My 14 yo
      son likes to stand up on the footpegs and hold onto my shoulders,
      this really improves the handling. Riding too fast shouldn't be a
      problem, I think it is more stable the faster you go. I am 5'10" and
      less than 70Kg, but not real sure how the rider's weight affects
      handling with a passenger.

      ray

    • Juergen Weichert
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11 8:56 AM
        My son who is 3 1/2 always wants me to "ride faster Daddy" (naturally I
        keep my speed down in any case) so when he wiggles too much I slow down
        (or stop) and tell him to sit still. When he stops wiggling we go again
        - thus he gets instant reward/feedback for behaving back there.

        In any case things handle pretty well. I have has two giggling 8yr old
        girls on the back with no problems either aside from the rear one
        sliding slightly on the shiny snap deck. A friend of mine solved a
        similar issue by applying a bit of anti-slip grip tape on the snap deck.

        I have carried friends, full-grown 200lb men with no problem. Handling
        suffers a bit if they lean side to side to try and see how much it might
        affect my ability to ride but if they sit still the only affect is that
        it becomes much harder to ride up hills! :-)

        Juergen

        David Chase wrote:

        > I have carried passengers, but I find that the handling
        > is far worse past 50kg. Is this just a matter of my kids
        > wiggling, when they should be sitting still? I weigh just
        > about 100kg myself, and I'm strong, and I've got good
        > balance. Am I trying to ride too fast?
        >
        > David
        >
        > On 2007-04-11, at 8:15 AM, Cathode Ray wrote:
        > > lotsa passengers since then, some over 100Kg.

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12 7:36 AM
          Cathode Ray wrote:
          > also got the deck upholstered in 50mm foam and black vinyl. the
          > little stickers that came in the xtracycle box made a nice finishing
          > touch (hint please send me some more!)

          I like the upholstered snap deck. As for alternative footsies, I got a
          piece of PVC pipe the right length and diameter to slide through the
          front bridge. I drilled some holes through the PVC so a bit of wire
          through the front bridge and the PVC holds it in place. I've not tested
          it for standing passengers, but sitting passengers do fine.

          CL
        • Ryano
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12 8:19 AM
            Actually that was the strange thing - this particular old geyser rides his bike everywhere.

            I suspect he was probably having too much fun falling off to really try to stay on.

            On 13/04/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

            And the more they ride as passengers and on their own, the better
            they'll be as passengers. In Taiwan, if they're not on a bicycle,
            they're on a motorbike. I've gotten passengers who were so light in
            their seat (or so balanced with the bike) I've had to keep checking
            whether they were still there.

            It's all about whether they try to straighten up as the bike leans or if
            they stay with the bike.

            CL

            Ryano wrote:
            > Generally the passenger quickly gets used to it and the wobbles tend to
            > disappear after a bit of practice, and then you can travel at low speeds
            > just fine. But I did take one old geyser one time who just could not
            > sit still for the life of him so we gave up. It also helps if you have
            > a nice wide handle bar. I switched my bars out recently to some big
            > chopper like things and that helps even more with balance.
            >
            > If you have kids and you are still worried, use a trailer. I have both
            > a trailer and the xtracycle, and though I personally think the xtracycle
            > is heaps much more fun, the trailer is undeniably safer for small kids -
            > especially if they have a tendency to nod off to sleep... For giving
            > older kids and adults a quick ride of course, the xtra is just the
            > ticket, and great fun.

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12 8:22 AM

              Ryano wrote:
              > Generally the passenger quickly gets used to it and the wobbles tend to
              > disappear after a bit of practice, and then you can travel at low speeds
              > just fine. But I did take one old geyser one time who just could not
              > sit still for the life of him so we gave up. It also helps if you have
              > a nice wide handle bar. I switched my bars out recently to some big
              > chopper like things and that helps even more with balance.
              >
              > If you have kids and you are still worried, use a trailer. I have both
              > a trailer and the xtracycle, and though I personally think the xtracycle
              > is heaps much more fun, the trailer is undeniably safer for small kids -
              > especially if they have a tendency to nod off to sleep... For giving
              > older kids and adults a quick ride of course, the xtra is just the
              > ticket, and great fun.
            • Michael Siminitus
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 13 10:45 AM
                The handle bars of those Razor scooters fit perfectly and make some nice footsies. It shouldn't be too hard to find a broken or scrap one...
              • Philip.X.Diaz
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 16 10:55 AM
                  this past weekend, i used 7/8" diameter hardwood dowel and birch plywood to make some runner boards for my FreeRadical. i stained and varnished the whole setup, so it looks very antique/nautical.  i will post photos later today or tomorrow.

                  the 7/8" dowel is super-cheap and easy to find, and is a perfect fit. a couple of 3/8" wood screws into the dowel through the holes at the front side of the horizontal tube will be enough to hold it in place.

                  make sure you varnish the dowel before installing, or you risk it rotting inside the FreeRad frame if it gets wet.

                  Philip Diaz
                  Berkeley CA

                  ps> i'm loving all the activity on this list lately!

                  On Apr 13, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Michael Siminitus wrote:

                  The handle bars of those Razor scooters fit perfectly and make some nice footsies. It shouldn't be too hard to find a broken or scrap one...

                  ride to believe.

                • Ryano