Re: Minimally lockable cargo area?

  • freedive_wi
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Andy" <acohen1644@...> wrote:

      > Is there any somewhat lockable cargo solution for the Xtracycle? I'd like to be able to shop at two different stores, without having to hand-carry all of my purchases from the first store into the second store for safekeeping. I don't plan on holding anything particularly valuable in the cargo area, and I don't plan on leaving it locked up overnight - I just don't want passersby grabbing my groceries.
      >
      > Thanks for any recommendations,
      >
      > Andy

      I used an old Pelican drybox that I used to use for one of my old underwater camera set-ups. You can buy them at any dive store, canoe/kayak shop, or camera store. I made some small slits in the bottom so that I could hose clamp them to my bike- the attachment points are inside the box, under the foam. I them put padlocks on the outside and can lock my valuables inside when I leave my bike unattended. One thing I did to make it a bit more convenient, was to buy a set of padlocks with a matching key so that i could lock up my bike cable, and lock box and not need separate keys, or combos, for everything.

      Jon

      Here's a photo of it: