Re: Nuvinci's weight and handling on an Xtracycle

  • adrianquan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
      Thanks for the info Neil! That's reassuring. I think I'll try strapping some hand weights to my frame near the wheel and see if it makes any difference, but it sounds like it probably won't.

      Andrew, the tire slipped laterally through the turn. i.e., I started to turn the front and the back felt like it kept on going. That was on some older tires I've since replaced with much grippier ones. Not sure I would have actually fell with the new ones in the same situation.

      The other times I've felt this phenomenon, it too has felt like the back wants to keep going when the front stops. I think part of this might be braking technique. Oddly enough I find that if I really lean forward into the turn, turns feel easier and more stable.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:39 AM, adrianquan <aquan@...> wrote:
      > > The only time I wiped out on my Xtracycle was going too fast down a hill and taking a right turn. When I turned, my rear tire lost traction and either swung out too far or not far enough. That's the only time I've crashed because of it, but I can occasionally feel the back end wanting to break away under heavy braking.
      >

      > I'm curious about this, because I've been studying the physics of
      > two-wheeled vehicles first hand for a number of years now. Do you
      > have an idea of what caused your back end to lose traction? I'm
      > guessing your rear tire either hit a patch of ground that had less
      > friction than expected, or the amount of braking being asked of the
      > tire overcame the amount of grip available. Were you on the brakes
      > while turning?
      >
      > It might be worthwhile to have someone ride alongside you while you're
      > doing some aggressive braking just to see if the back wheel is locking
      > up, or it's just post-crash syndrome. I know that after I crash I'm
      > always a bit hesitant and overly sensitive to small events for a
      > while.

    • Steve Lange
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
        On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:07 PM, adrianquan <aquan@...> wrote:

         Oddly enough I find that if I really lean forward into the turn, turns feel easier and more stable.

        Do you have a more upright position (cruiser or North Roads - style bar)?  That would potential shift the Xtracycle's overall weight distribution rearward (vs. a MTB or road bike style seating position) and hypothetically increase the likelihood of the bike wanting to swap ends when turning.
      • adrianquan
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
          It's a standard MTB setup with an Origin8 Space Bar. (It angles your hands a bit but doesn't sweep back, so balance-wise, you're still in the same spot as with a flat bar.) Good to know, though!