Re: [rootsradicals] rain gear

  • rphaedrus@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2009
      On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM, ckpedpad <ckpedpad@...> wrote:
      > I realize that winter is on its way, but we have had nothing but rain lately in Minneapolis.
      > Does anyone have any experience with "Rainmates" chaps? They come from a company in Amsterdam, but apparently can also be ordered in North America from someplace with a "314" area code.

      I live in Minneapolis and Rain Mates are my rain pants of choice.
      Paired with some nashbar hytrel socks under my sandals and a 3/4
      length motorcycle jacket, I've been doing fine for the last month.

      I ordered mine from Clever Cycles out in Portland.

      I will get a bit damp wearing them in heavy rains, but I stay warm and
      unless I'm out for hours in driving rain, I don't get soaked (and even
      then, I stay warm!)

      - phaedrus
    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
        I wear some REI rain gear for biking--their copy of Gore Tex. Work
        very well and have a nice tail thing that comes down from the jacket
        to keep the spray off one's back when riding a bike with no rear
        fender. This thing folds underneath out of the way and is held by
        velcro when not needed. Great stuff.

        David
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
          American roads must drain a whole lot faster and better than the roads
          in Taiwan, because I know America gets the same gully washers Taiwan
          does. I can't imagine just using rain chaps here. The cars kick up and
          splash up so much water, it's like biking through a car wash--and I live
          in Taichung, the 'California of Taiwan'.

          CL

        • rphaedrus@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
            We seem to have decent drainage. I've heard down south where they
            don't get the snow and ice, they have more problems because they build
            their roads flat. Ours are built with a fair bit of camber so water
            flows off the sides into the gutters and down the drains. Assuming,
            of course, the road is in decent condition which is often questionable
            (nothing like hitting a pothole covered by water).

            Also, I tend to avoid car heavy routes during inclement weather and
            have long fenders to keep my own splashing under control.

            - phaedrus

            On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

            > American roads must drain a whole lot faster and better than the roads
            > in Taiwan, because I know America gets the same gully washers Taiwan
            > does. I can't imagine just using rain chaps here. The cars kick up and
            > splash up so much water, it's like biking through a car wash--and I live
            > in Taichung, the 'California of Taiwan'.
            >
            > CL
            >
            > rphaedrus@... wrote:
            > > I will get a bit damp wearing them in heavy rains, but I stay warm and
            > > unless I'm out for hours in driving rain, I don't get soaked (and even
            > > then, I stay warm!)

          • Andy Cohen
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
              True - if your route gets you splashed by cars, rain chaps won't do it - you'll need full rain pants (or a change of clothes). Fortunately, when we get a moderate rain, the drainage is pretty much under control.

            • Carl Ray
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
                Clevercycles.com

                --
                “A plant, which is a living and breathing entity, has the ability to understand and work in synchrony with the body’s internal needs, in harmony with the vital force within us, to heal and give life”

                -Donald R. Yance
              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 29, 2009
                  That's the difference--pretty much any road in Taichung, Taiwan, is a
                  'car heavy route.' Taiwan gives ample support to the idea that if you
                  build the roads, the cars will come. I don't watch TV much, but when I
                  do, it's two car ads for every other sort of ad, and one is for Ford.

                  CL