need help with CAD

  • Kipchoge Spencer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
      In support of our desire to see more longbikes in the world and see a standard for accessorization thereof, and in response to many incoming requests from framebuilders, we plan to publish the specifications for our rack system. Is there anyone in the community with SolidWorks skills who take our FreeRadical files and translate them into a publishable, creative commons spec?

      -kipchoge
    • Juergen Weichert
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
        Since SolidWorks is a proprietary software system (albeit a very useful
        one) wouldn't it make most sense to publish your specs in an Open Source
        format?

        I would imagine that all the necessary specs could be easily described
        in some text or a simple line drawing. Not the whole FreeRadical of
        course, but the important dimensional information such as location and
        dimensions of the tubes that accept Free Loaders and Wide Loaders etc.

        Simply publish a 3-view drawing in PDF format (actually a high
        resolution PNG might be more appropriate?) and some accompanying text.

        Just earlier today as I was riding around my old (first) recumbent I was
        mulling over a version that could incorporate the Free Loader rack
        system with Snap Deck instead of fussing with panniers. :-)

        In what format are your existing files? Maybe I can do some translation,
        or create a simple line drawing with the necessary dimensions.

        Juergen

        Kipchoge Spencer wrote:

        > In support of our desire to see more longbikes in the world and see a
        > standard for accessorization thereof, and in response to many incoming
        > requests from framebuilders, we plan to publish the specifications for
        > our rack system. Is there anyone in the community with SolidWorks
        > skills who take our FreeRadical files and translate them into a
        > publishable, creative commons spec?
        >
        > -kipchoge

      • Kipchoge Spencer
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2007
          Sorry, I could have been a bit more clear. You are exactly right, Juergen. What we want to do is publish a 3-view drawing in PDF format. What we have are Solidworks CAD files. It is easy to export the CAD files to a PDF w/o experience, but not as easy to export them showing the critical dimensions. That takes someone with some skill with CAD, and we're short on that at the moment. We would also consider publishing them in Sketchup as several have suggested, but that would take some crafty exporting, too.

          --
          Kipchoge Spencer

          29085 Highway 49
          North San Juan CA 95960