9093Re: [rootsradicals] Has anyone tried fabricating a ball-hitch type system for their X?

  • Mark Garvey
    Jun 2, 2009
      Yes, I have a detachable Ball joint on a small bracket on the back of my X. It also fits the hhitch for my kiddy trailer.  The ball joint is basically a Rod end joint (like the steering rods on recumbent bikes) in 3/8 size if I remember correctly.  they were inexpensive in the extreme and have a spring loaded cover that captures the ball.  I can't remember exactly where I got them (I got 2) but McMaster Karr (?) is a good place to start.

      It may be too lightweight, but I have been using them for about 2 years now and they have had no issues other than me garfing my shins on the bracket!  But I have the same problem with the hitch on my Van too!

      On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM, watrout <watrout@...> wrote:
      I'm thinking a ball hitch type system would be nice for my X.  Particularly I'd like it for my kid trailer - right now I attach the trailer hitch via a bolt through the rear tube on the free rad.  Problem is when I want to run wide loaders I have to take the trailer hitch off and therefore can no longer take the trailer.  I also thought a standard type (be-it small) ball type hitch could make cargo trailers and the like much easier to come by.  Don't know, just thinking out loud - anyone here tried it?

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)