8688Re: [rootsradicals] Re: lowest rear gear

  • ama3655@aol.com
    Apr 2, 2009
      Geoff -
      I'm surprised that a bike shop wasn't all over this one. You should have some nice shops in Beantown.
      If you are having trouble getting into your lowest (largest diameter) cog in the rear then the spring may not be the issue. Your cable might need to be shortened just a bit. Try it first with the adjuster at the rear derailleur, or the shifter if it has an adjuster. If these are both adjusted out as far as they will go then adjust them back to center and shorten up the cable a bit using the cable clamp on the derailleur. Unless you have one of Shimano's low normal derailleurs. If it's low normal then disregard this step, it's backwards.
      Check to see that you've got the correct shifter to go with the cassette or freewheel and derailleur. There could be many compatibility issues here. Compatible brands and models within a brand. How many speeds? You could have a 5 speed shifter with a 9 speed derailleur or something, and they can all be Shimano. The chain could also be mismatched.
      If your cables or housings are in bad shape replace them. Jagwire (or your favorite) housings and stainless cables, no lube. It's probably worth doing this annually if you ride the bike in bad weather, near the ocean, or just want things to work really well. If your cables and housings are old I'd probably do this first. Make sure to use the ferrules and seals where appropriate.
      If all this has already been tried and doesn't help then let us know the brand and model number of your shifter, derailleur, chain, and cassette/hub or hub and freewheel. We can dig deeper.
      In a message dated 4/2/2009 7:27:21 A.M. Central Daylight Time, watrout@... writes:

      > WOW! in light on the outpouring of response to Abigail about her pedal, here's hoping someone can help me out too. I've asked the LBS about this, and they weren't sure.
      > I just finished my build of my Xtracycle, and everything seems to be working except for getting to the lowest (largest) gear on the rear derailler. I have a 7 speed freewheel, and not sure what brand of derailler, using the Rollamajig to tighten the curve. The problem is not the low gear limit stop screw, since when i shift low, i can manually nudge the derailler to go into the lowest gear. It is also not the derailler spring, and that pulls in in the direction I want it to go. The problem seems to be not being able to get enough tension on the shifting cable (at least that's what the LBS guy thought, and I seem to agree), but I have no idea how to solve it.
      > Any clue if this is the problem?
      > Any clue how to solve it?
      > Thanks in advance for the help!
      > Geoff
      > Boston, MA
      > jpbikresearch. com

      Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic