85Rain Gear ( was Re: Howdy from Chicago)

  • wookiebonic
    Feb 7, 2006
      Ive been using lots of wool clothing this winter. The best place to
      find this stuff around here seems to be THRIFT STORES. $4.00
      sweaters! Great if you're not made of money. I am on the hunt for the
      perfect weatherproof riding jacket. I know Carradice makes a nice one and
      Todd,the creator of the the Stokemonkey,has a blog entry with some
      nice looking kit. I've dumped a few pictures in the photo section.
      If you are reading this and have a camera, how 'bout getting creative
      and sharing some pictures?!?
      peace
      -steve in chicago
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Gauk <akiragauk@...> wrote:

      > I second the Gore-Tex. I live a measely 2 miles away, so I wear my
      > (work) steel toes as they're both waterproof and wicking. The soles
      > are stiffer than sneakers, too. Wool socks are a must if it gets truly
      > cold. I've got a fender on the back, but nothing on the front as there
      > are no fender mounts. Still debating half-fender vs. new fork. I've
      > got a Bright, BRIGHT headlight - Busch & Müller Ixon 1 watt LED (14
      > Lumen for 6 hours). http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.asp
      > --Gauk, akiragauk@...
      >
      > On 6 Feb 2006 19:56:34 -0000, rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      > <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > > There are 3 messages in this issue.
      > >
      > > Topics in this digest:
      > >
      > > 1. Re: Howdy from Chicago
      > > From: TheJonesgal@...
      > > 2. Rain Gear ( was Re: Howdy from Chicago)
      > > From: Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...>
      > > 3. Re: Digest Number 53
      > > From: Kipchoge Spencer <kipchoge@...>

      > > Message: 1
      > > Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:51:23 EST
      > > From: TheJonesgal@...
      > > Subject: Re: Howdy from Chicago
      > >

      > > Howdy from Seattle (area),
      > > I too added the down low glow lights and love them. I feel safer
      riding home
      > > from work in the dark.
      > > Unfortunately, I've been a wimp in our very wet winter and haven't
      been
      > > riding much at all. I do most of my riding to work and home again
      when I'm not
      > > out for fun.
      > > Maybe if you all tell me how you handle the rain - what kind of
      gear you
      > > wear - and stuff like that, you'll spur me on!
      > >
      > > Thanks, Gerry
      > >
      > > PS the sun came out and I rode my bike today!
      > > It's not looking so good for the Sea Hawks! 3 minutes to go, not a
      pretty
      > > picture.
      > >

      > > [This message contained attachments]

      > > Message: 2
      > > Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 00:40:54 -0800
      > > From: Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...>
      > > Subject: Rain Gear ( was Re: Howdy from Chicago)
      > >
      > > Hi Gerry,
      > >
      > > I've arranged my life so that my commute is only about three miles
      > > each way which helps since I can ride in my work clothes (computer
      > > geek). I use a beat up old non-cycle-specific Marmot gore-tex shell
      > > parka. It's got a hood which I *hate* for riding (just gets in the
      > > way), but it's still water tight and I can't bring my cheap self to
      > > upgrade yet. For pants I'm using some gore-tex cycling-specific pants
      > > that I got on clearance from Nashbar or Performance for about $100.
      > > Worth every penny. I used to use some pants made for hunters that had
      > > big legs and were a right pain. For feet I'm still in toe clips and
      > > use my regular shoes to ride. None of them are particularly water
      > > repellent so I've just been wearing wool socks and changing my shoes
      > > when I get to work if they get too wet.

> [...]
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic