824Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Black Ice

  • Ryano
    Jan 14, 2007
      Good tip.  Thanks Dave.  I might do that too.

      On 14/01/07, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

      > I should think that constantly changing ones tires every time there
      > is a warm or cold snap would be a pain in the a@@. (Of course, if
      > you live in the UP of Michigan, that's another matter, but here we
      > have sixty degrees one day and twenty the next.)
      > Do they make tire chains for bicycles?
      You can make a tire chain for a bicycle.
      See http://www.rpi.edu/dept/union/juggling/public/uni/unichains.html

      I followed these instructions (suitably modified for size)
      to make chains for a 700c wheel, and it was a pain to put
      them on and off, and when they were on, the shortest stretch
      of pavement, traveling at quite a low speed, shook me and the
      bicycle very, very much. I feared damage to the bicycle, or
      to my teeth, or to my hands. "Other parts" might object after
      a mile of this abuse, too.

      I took pictures of the result and posted them some time back.

      In practice, in the Boston area, I now run with studded tires
      front and rear, and try not to skid them on the pavement. I put
      them on for the first snow, and it was too much of a pain to swap
      them out. All that snow melted, we had a round of puddles-N-ice,
      that melted, and now we're looking at snow/sleet later this week.
      Some extra wear on my studs, yes, but nothing like the damage to
      those fruit trees that were tricked into bloom last week. (That is,
      this has been a very unusual winter.)

      If you're on a time/dollar budget, you could just get a single
      studded tire for the front, but also get an extra wheel. As
      someone else noted, the xtra length of the xtra cycle means
      it takes a little longer for the rear end to come around, so
      you can get by without a rear tire. The front tire will
      protect you from the worst spills. If winter comes to stay
      for a while, then get some studs for the rear, too.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic