7863Re: ?- rain cover with tent poles PICTURES

  • charliewicker
    Dec 9, 2008
      I've posted the photos using Jay's nicely titled album, "rain covers" and can be found here .

      After seeing Jay's and a few others I realize how mean I am as a parent ;)

      Mine is comparatively minimalist. Keep in mind that this was a quick & dirty job that was completed and immediately used to roll in a storm. Note the tape instead of proper sewing. I plan on making some changes. Off the top of my head these would be:

       - redesign the attachments. One poster recommended I use hose clamps. While this would work fine it's fighting the rotation issue with brute force. I'm thinking of instead using a single long piece of material with the connect tubes angling from that. This would allow more precise angles and never have an opportunity to slide or rotate. Plus installation would be simpler. And a bonus for the rear section is it would offer a place to put an "I share the road" bumper sticker.

      - replace wood with weatherproof material. Wood is not reliable. I'd go for a bomber plastic resin

      - Lower the total height (my kids have > 12" of clearance

      - Change the overall profile to more effectively drain and provide some  side protection.

      - Reinforce material where needed, add reflective elements and clear window sections

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jay & Liz" <lizjay@...> wrote:

      > And we are the Bike Portland family with a tent pole rain cover on a Bike Friday Family
      > Tandem. I created an album called "Rain Covers" and posted pictures there, and invite
      > others, including our neighbor Charlie, to post there as well.
      >
      > We took it for a test ride the other night, in the "almost done" stage, and it rides pretty
      > well. The bottom billows out a little, but I think that is easily fixable.
      >
      > More details later, if desired, but it's time for work/school.
      > Liz
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Logan" domestikitty@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you for responding, and for the description. I'm looking forward to
      > > seeing the pictures!
      > >
      > > ~Jennifer
      > >
      > > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM, charliewicker charliewicker@wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi... I'm the mysterious poster on BikePortland who has the tent pole
      > > > rain cover.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic