756Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Surly Xtra-frame (Big Dummy)

  • Devian Gilbert
    Dec 15, 2006
      its all about the Big Dummy
      i wonder what Surly's initial run is gonna be?
      that is...
      how many are they gonna make?

      On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:01 AM, karpaydiem wrote:

      Well it's good to read that someone else is hard on the FreeRadical. I
      had one break a few months ago and replaced under warranty. I could
      see that the unsupported portion, to the rear of the dropouts, was not
      a strong design.

      I tried beefing it up by running aircraft cables from the back lower
      corners to turnbuckles attached to the upper forward corners of the
      bag frames, held on with hoseclamps. The other day at about 30 mph and
      carrying about 60 lbs I hit a huge pothole and the rear portion of the
      FreeRadical bent downward about 15 degrees, enough to wipe out my
      fender between the tire and the Snapdeck. So my cables didn't exactly
      work perfectly, but I can't help but think that without them, I'd have
      another snapped frame.

      So now, after straightening the frame (using 4x4's clamped above and
      below the bend with a length of 5/8" threaded rod) I've really gone
      all out in my beefing up, short of anything welded.

      First I ran a length of 3/4 x 1/8" flat steel bar on the outside of
      the tubes that support the dropouts, from the brake bosses to the rear
      cross bar. I clamped it to the FreeRadcial tubes with 7 hose clamps on
      each side. Looks like hell, but I figure it will add some stength.

      Next, I put some 1/2" thin wall electrical conduit tubes in
      triangulated postions, attached to the FreeRadical tubing with pieces
      of plumber's tape bolted through the conduit with stainless machine
      screws and nylock nuts. One runs from the rear upper corner of the bag
      frame to the dropout tube, just back of the fender boss. Then I ran a
      second tube from the middle of the first tube to the upper front
      corner of the bag frame.

      This all looks pretty much like a huge weird kludge, but I'm
      determined to not have any more bent/broken frames... until I can get
      a Big Dummy which seems to have worked out supporting that
      failure-prone rear portion.