695Re: [rootsradicals] FYI, studded 700c x 35 tires on an xtracycle

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Oct 25, 2006
      I recently replaced my aging Iron Horse 700c tires with studded ones
      from Bike Nashbar:
      http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?&sku=10628

      They were a struggle to put on at first until I found a good system
      of alternating my three tire irons (which are actually tire
      plastics). Now, that they're on, I'm only looking forward to the
      first snow and ice to develop up here in Connecticut. In the
      meantime, no longer a quite ride on open roads, as much noise as the
      studs make on the pavement.

      I suppose the Nokian's carbide studs are the extra cost, as Nashbar
      is selling its tires for $20 a piece (I got mine $25 each last month.)

      - Ben

      On 24 Oct 2006, at 22:58, David Chase wrote:

      > They just fit. (700c Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 35mm,
      > Peter White Cycles). I had to let the air out to get
      > them on, and then I had to make my wheel (which is about
      > 30% replacement spokes) really be round again. I think
      > what I need is a new wheel, with lots of very strong
      > spokes, because if another spoke breaks, I suspect it
      > will go too far out of round to clear in back.
      >
      > David
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic