6589Re: [rootsradicals] Rohloff

  • Tim Lupfer
    Sep 5, 2008
      Hey Mark,
      I didn't mean to get you all worked up :) mostly I just wanted to put in a good word for hydraulic brakes. they work well, especially with long bikes with full length housing (i.e. big dummy), and aren't nearly as difficult to work on as people often seem to think they are. there aren't that many spare parts to have on hand and once installed many setups run trouble free for years with only the infrequent task of changing pads. sure, maybe you can't stop at walmart for parts, but you can keep a stash in your freeloader or at your work bench.
      -tim

      On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:

      Actually, I don't EXPECT them to fail at all......I expect ANY mechanical apparatus that I don't know how to fix to fail an any time that it becomes critical to my survival.  It may be a law of nature....If you have an irreplacable part for your bicycle or car, or whatever, the part will FAIL catastrophically somewhere West of Outer Podunk Wyo on a Friday of a 3 day weekend, leaving you stranded!  I don't really care WHAT it is!  I don't use 20 inch wheels and tires on my trailer and 26 inch wheels and tires on my bike because they are "the best" I use them because EVERY DAMNED WAL MART IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE STOCKS THEM!   and no mater what you think of them, THE LONGEST you will have to wait to purchase a wheel, tire or tube that will WORK on your bike is about 4 or 5 hours because some of them are not open 24 hours a day!

      Same goes for brake and shift cables.  If you have cable brakes, there are cables at Wal Mart, Ace, True Value, JC Penny, Sears and a host of other places, including bike shops.

      This doesn't mean I will be a shopper at K mart or Wal Mart anytime soon, but that because the pieces are AVAILABLE, they won't break!  that is why I run a 7 speed cogset too.  You can get a replacement at Wal Mart, K mart  Etc.  A 9 speed MUST be used with a special chain, only available at GREAT expense from a bicycle shop.  Usually one that is only open on alternate Thursdays on Months with an S in them.  and you just missed the guy.  He is going on vacation for three weeks!  Besides the parts are not in stock and have to be ordered from Japan by bicycle courrier!

      This is why I use standard size parts and such,  they are AVAILABLE, which keeps the P*nct*re fairy and his friend the Cable Gnome from attacking my bike.  A part on a bicycle will break in inverse proportion to the availability of a replacement part.

      This was borne out when I owned a BSA motorcycle.  I found it espedient to order TWO of any part that broke because if I bought ONE, the damned thing would be in use for 72 hours and would FAIL again, requiring 6 hours of wrenching, two hours of Cursing and three weeks of waiting for the part to be shipped in brine via Tea Clipper from Jolly Olde to my home in the Colonies!  wherer the replacement would be either the wrong size, the wrong voltage (usually electric parts, Lucas, Prince of Darkness!) or for an entirely different vehicle...Say a Triumph TR 3 automobile rather than a BSA 441 Victor motorcycle.  with a sincere apology and a stiff upper lip the part would be shipped BACK to england, replaced with ANOTHER incorrect part in another 3 weeks.   I spent about 3 weeks total riding my BSA 441 "Victor" in the 2 years that I owned it.

      Arrrrgh!  Always use parts you can find at any gas station, hardware store, plumbing supply or Head shop.  NEVER ever have anything that needs special parts only available at great expense from some remote part of the world!

      mark

      On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Tim Lupfer <tim.lupfer@...> wrote:
      Several companies use dot fluid including avid, hayes, formula and hope. It seems to work much better in sub-zero temperatures than mineral oil. Shimano hydraulic brakes tend to flake out around minus five or minus ten degrees. Having a spare hose on hand is always a good idea, but I think people expect them to fail more often than they actually do.

      On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:

      yeah, it is usually mineral oil, DOT oil will ruin MOST (if not all!) hydraulic discs.

      --
      Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic