      yeah, it is usually mineral oil, DOT oil will ruin MOST (if not all!) hydraulic discs.   And yes, you have to be aware that ANY cable that gets water in it in winter can have a freeze problem.  I discovered this to my embarrassment and some fright when I washed my Trike in the wash bay at work one day and rode it around outside afterward spinning around in the snow. It was below Zero and before long the brakes were locked  and you could not break them free!  yikes!  Foot brakes!

      EVERY mechanical system has its strengths and weaknesses. what you have to do is decide what works well in your circumstance.  For instance, right now, my favorite bike, other than my X is my mid 1960's Schwinn Typhoon with the 2 speed Bendix Kickback hub....Tres Cool!  and VERY casual!

      mark

      On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 11:46 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

      On 2008-09-01, at 11:38 AM, Mark Garvey wrote:
      > The only difference that I can see is that cable discs use standard
      > bike brake cables.  hydraulics have hoses and special oil.

      Is it indeed special oil?  I would normally expect it to be DOT 3, 4,
      or 5.

      The other difference, besides standardization (or not) is that cables
      can actually freeze in the winter when they get water inside them --
      this happened to me, and a friend/colleague had it happen to his
      derailer.  It's not a hard fix, but it was surprising and annoying the
      first time it happened.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic