6521Re: [rootsradicals] Rohloff

    Sep 1, 2008
      On 2008-09-01, at 11:38 AM, Mark Garvey wrote:
      > The only difference that I can see is that cable discs use standard
      > bike brake cables. hydraulics have hoses and special oil.

      Is it indeed special oil? I would normally expect it to be DOT 3, 4,
      or 5.

      The other difference, besides standardization (or not) is that cables
      can actually freeze in the winter when they get water inside them --
      this happened to me, and a friend/colleague had it happen to his
      derailer. It's not a hard fix, but it was surprising and annoying the
      first time it happened.