6044Re: Snapdeck Kidseat pics

  • fredpinto.geo
    Aug 12 2:40 AM
      I'm drawing plans for building the seats based on your pictures using
      a image analysis software. The only thing I couldn't figure out yet on
      my own (due to lack of a picture from an appropriate angle) is the
      shape of the horizontal piece (the one replacing the snapdeck); I can
      assume where the cuts for fitting the legs, when bent, but not sure if
      this would be the perfect shape based on your project.
      I also noticed that the front seat is considerably shorter (in terms
      of back-to-where-the-legs-bent); does it really fit your big guy, or
      his legs drop too deep if he seats there. I compared it to Mark Kohr's
      versions and his seem more balanced (or evenly distributed) along the
      longer axis of the pseudo-snapdeck.
      Anyways, do you think you could post a picture of the entire seat from
      above (holding the camera on top of the xtracycle)? If so, I could
      finish up measuring, add this value, and try to post here a compiled
      plan with drawings to help others. Also I noticed that the angle of
      the back of the seat to the snapdeck is 110 degrees; since you
      mentioned it could be somewhat more confortable for the kids to take a
      nap, maybe I'll increase it to 115.
      Thanks a lot for being so inspiring.
      Take care,
      Fred

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stoutag" <thestouts@...> wrote:

      > I took measurements from a number of different strollers and accounted
      > for the rough age range I wanted this to work for, and how those
      > strollers are known to work for varying ages.
      >
      > Consequently off the top of my head, I believe the dimensions worked
      > something like this.
      >
      > Interior seat width ~11-11.5"
      > Interior seat back to where legs bend approximately 10"
      > Seat back height ~19" at the highest point
      >
      > I think total length was something like 28-29" if I remember correctly.
      >
      > After having used it for a month I don't think there's anythink I'd
      > really change as far as form factor goes. Currently I run the bigger
      > kid in the back, but once he has the maturity to consistantly keep his
      > feet on a set of bar ends and out of my pedal path, I'll scoot the
      > whole thing back about 2.5-3" and have him ride up front with bar ends
      > for foot rests.
      >
      > Those dimensions were also intended to provide some room for the pads
      > we made which are 1" of open cell foam with 1/4" of close cell foam on
      > the bottom pads, and just the 1" thick open cell on the seat back.
      >
      > I would in retrospect probably change the contour of the side panels
      > on the front seat to match the rear partially for asthetics and
      > partially to make it easier for front kiddo to splay legs if need be.
      >
      > Hopefully that helps.
      >
      > Someplace we did some plan drawings with dimensions with the intent of
      > taking a picture and posting for others to use. Perhaps I'll actually
      > dig those out after we get back from our trip and post them.
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Lloyd" <dave@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Stoutag:
      > >
      > > Can you post some details about the rough dimensions? I could
      > > probably figure it out from there but since my X hasn't arrived yet I
      > > have zero ideas what the dimensions should be.
      > >
      > > I have to say again that you've made quite the family truckster out of
      > > your bike. I'm quite envious, especially with the rain cover you now
      > > have.
      > >
      > > --
      > > --dlloyd

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic