6003Re: [rootsradicals] Re: The Energy Cost of Electric and Human-Powered Bicycles

  • Steve Lange
    Aug 8, 2008
      Sorry Morgan - didn't really mean to offend, but obviously the post was
      written in an offensive manner. I will clean up my act, because this is an
      interesting topic and I think it's worth discussing (I guess I'm a mental
      masturbator, eh?) ;-)

      My main counter-argument is that, when talking about a bicycle, regardless of
      power source (human, motor, or a combination thereof), you cannot exclude the
      energy cost of the vehicle's operator. Even if the operator isn't doing any
      motive work (i.e. a pure motorcycle application), there is some energy cost
      inherent to keeping the bike upright and steering it.

      Thus, comparing the energy cost of the electric motor looks only at a portion
      of the total energy requirement needed for the bike to qualify as a vehicle
      (instead of a paperweight). It excludes the energy cost of the human balancing
      and steering it, even if that person is doing little or no motive work.

      Therefore the electric vs. human comparison as presented is not "apples and
      apples", but rather "apples and oranges." You can't exclude the caloric cost
      of balancing and steering just because both scenarios require it, because
      doing so inaccurately under-reports the true energy cost of the hybrid or pure
      motorcycle application and then incorrectly compares it against the total
      energy cost of the human powered application.

      So, even excluding questions about the efficiencies of the motor, batteries
      and electrical / food source(s), the comparison as presented is misleading and
      incomplete.

      That's all I was trying to say, sorry for ruffling feathers and being a jerk.

      Steve