5494RE: [rootsradicals] stoker bars for dummies?

  • Jenni Ertl
    Jul 13, 2008

      I just picked up a $50 Bontrager MTB threadless stem this weekend for $2 at a sporting goods store sidewalk sale! (Scheel’s) I was very excited when I found it in the box of miscellaneous bike parts. They had several by various manufacturers.

      From: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Devian Gilbert
      Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 9:14 PM
      To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] stoker bars for dummies?

      all you need is a 1 & 1/8 inch stem

      then a shim

      28.6mm = 1 1/8th inch

      all you need to know is your seatpost diameter.  (the size is usually indicated somewhere on the seatpost.  you may need to remove the post from the frame to find the marking)

      take a regular MTB 1 1/8th threadless stem

      and a cheap mtb bar.

      i.e.

      27.2mm seatpost

      use shim 27.2 to 28.6mm for stem to seatpost interface.

      now the stem mates to seatpost.

      you can be fancy and trip the shim, after you get things all situated.

      note: make sure stem clamp diameter matches handlebar.

      i.e.  standard for mtb bars is 25.4mm, oversize is 31.8

      in the above examples i believe i picked 25.4.

      the only hitch is that the 27.2 to 28.6 shim is out of stock.

      if you can find a handlebar and stem that you like, getting a shim should be pretty easy.

      hope this helps

      peace...d

      http://www.AsanaCycles.com

      On Jul 13, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Christelle Lachapelle wrote:

      Can anyone recommend a cheap set of stoker bars that I can get for my four
      year old to hold onto when riding on the snap deck? I have been looking
      online, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I would even be happy
      to buy a used set of bars if anyone has some lying around. My LBS didn't
      have any tandem bars...
      Thanks!

      Christelle

      www.makingthingslady.blogspot.com