5256Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Dummy news

  • Vik
    Jul 4, 2008
      Morgan,

      I think it's very nice of you to have honoured your quoted price to the customer. but I don't think it would have been unethical to let them know prices went up and offer them a full refund of their deposit or ask them to pay the cost increase if they wanted to buy the bike.

      safe riding

      Vik
      www.vikram-banerjee.com
      www.thelazyrando.com
      www.viks-tikit.com
      www.viks-bigdummy.com

      On 4-Jul-08, at 8:47 AM, Morgan wrote:

      I actually agree with you that this is the dealer's fault for
      promising this to the customer at a certain price. I don't think this
      is Surly's fault.

      We made a similar mistake with our electric bicycles - we initially
      took orders and payments for them at a certain price. Our own price
      for getting them here went up. However, we could not pass that onto
      the customers who pre-ordered, because that would be unethical, so we
      made very little margin on those bikes. That's the cost of our mistake.

      The lesson we learned from that is that we are happy to make a waiting
      list for items in demand, but unless the product availability and
      pricing is imminently known, we will not take someone's money for it.

      So, I'd suggest the folks who paid a deposit for a BD at a certain
      price, should have a serious chat with their dealer.

      Morgan
      cycle9.com
      Chapel Hill, NC.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic