5229Re: Dummy news

  • tda0818
    Jul 3, 2008
      I agree with all of that (both Mark's comments and Morgan's), but I
      still think the person upthread has a very valid point (sorry I forgot
      your name, person upthread): it *is* a bit hinky to charge a person
      more for a bike they've already put a down payment on.

      I understand it's not Surly's fault that inflation is happening. But
      it's not the customer's fault that Surly didn't buy enough product to
      meet demand. The customer's already having to "pay" a premium by
      having to wait for Surly to get more product to market.

      All that said, the customer's beef is really with the dealer, not
      Surly. It's the dealer who said, in effect, "Okay, I'll take some of
      your money now in exchange for this bike at this price, when we get
      some more in." Surly, so far as I know, never offered any such down
      payment program. It's the dealer who engaged in such a deal who
      should eat the extra $200.

      If promises were made (implicitly or explicitly), they should be kept.

      -- urbino

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Prices are going up across the board, for everything.
      > >

      > Yeah, what she said! Fuel prices alone are driving a bit of this.
      My boss
      > pays $4.50 a gallon for Diesel and we have to tack a fuel surcharge
      on to
      > our regular fees. Guess who pays this? Whoever is buying the carpet I
      > carry. And anything you own, got there by truck. It USED to cost about
      > $500 to fill my fuel tanks for a week, now it is closer to $1000.
      (I only
      > burn about 200 gallons a week) and this means that everything from
      cars to
      > corn flakes costs more to put on shelves. Call it what you want,
      but costs
      > are rising for everything. I remember (being an old fart) when you
      could
      > buy a really decent bicycle for about $200. a Schwinn Paramount
      went for
      > about $700 and that was unholy expensive! Now it is not uncommon to see
      > $4000 bikes. My first new motorcycle cost less than that! So did
      my first
      > (and only) new car!
      >
      > Not that the BD at one large is a "good" thing. But I would rather
      spend a
      > bit more to keep people like surly in business honestly.
      >
      > Plus going into the whole fuel and transportation thing, Ships burn
      Diesel
      > also. Bikes come from china on big ships, so that cost is
      higher...Wages
      > for workers in China are going up now. Skilled workers can pretty
      much name
      > the price because EVERYONE wants skilled workers there.
      >
      > I don't want to go into a whole economics thing here, but that is what
      > happens when you start exporting jobs...at first it works out well, but
      > pretty soon, your exported jobs are costing more and you don't have
      people
      > at home to buy your goods because your "good jobs' are across the
      sea and
      > you are stuck with the transportation costs to boot!
      >
      > mark

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic