5204Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Dummy news

  • Mark Garvey
    Jul 3 4:52 AM
      On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:

      Prices are going up across the board, for everything.

      Yeah, what she said!  Fuel prices alone are driving a bit of this.  My boss pays $4.50 a gallon for Diesel and we have to tack a fuel surcharge on to our regular fees.  Guess who pays this?  Whoever is buying the carpet I carry.  And anything you own, got there by truck.  It USED to cost about $500 to fill my fuel tanks for a week, now it is closer to $1000.  (I only burn about 200 gallons a week) and this means that everything from cars to corn flakes  costs more to put on shelves.  Call it what you want, but costs are rising for everything.  I remember (being an old fart) when you could buy a really decent bicycle for about $200.  a Schwinn Paramount went for about $700 and that was unholy expensive!  Now it is not uncommon to see $4000 bikes.  My first new motorcycle cost less than  that!  So did my first (and only) new car!

      Not that the BD at one large is a "good" thing.  But I would rather spend a bit more to keep people like surly in business honestly.

      Plus going into the whole fuel and transportation thing, Ships burn Diesel also.  Bikes come from china on big ships, so that cost is higher...Wages for workers in China are going up now.  Skilled workers can pretty much name the price because EVERYONE wants skilled workers there.

      I don't want to go into a whole economics thing here, but that is what happens when you start exporting jobs...at first it works out well, but pretty soon, your exported jobs are costing more and you don't have people at home to buy your goods because your "good jobs' are across the sea and you are stuck with  the transportation costs to boot!

      mark
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic