4585Re: Weight Capacity of Bike + FreeRad

  • Michael
    Jun 3, 2008
      Thanks for all the great responses! Love this group!

      Several of you spoke of wheels and tires relating to carrying
      capacity. I currently have a stock Specialized Hemisphere, 700x38c,
      60TPI, wire bead, Flak Jacket tire on my rear wheel with standard
      spoke count. My LBS did re-spoke (forgive my newbie terminology) my
      wheel with stronger spokes. Here are the specs for my bike - I still
      have all stock parts ('cept for the spokes on the rear wheel):
      http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32296 (click on
      Technical Specifications after choosing your country).

      Does this sound sufficient for regularly carrying between 300 and 400
      pounds on the X (combined rider and cargo/passenger weight)? If not,
      I would love some suggestions!

      Thanks again!

      Michael in Boise

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

      > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily. I just installed the FreeRadical
      > > last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
      > > limit with the FreeRad installed.
      >

      > I weigh 17.8 stone at the moment. (1 stone =14 lbs...you figure it
      out!)
      > anyway, the limit of my freerad is mostly what will fit. Today I
      taxed it!
      > Made a grocery run, argued with SWMBO on the phone about different
      items and
      > then carried them home. For only the SECOND time, I strapped
      something to
      > the snapdeck.
      >
      > Don't know the weight, but the bill was $111. OK, not like it USED
      to be
      > but still!... I took a photo and it is posted in the section called
      > Lazybee's X.
      >
      > By the way, I did a gig this morning about 6 miles from home. used
      the bike
      > to haul my balloon pump, and supplies for the gig. used the motor
      to hoist
      > my fat ass over the hills both ways. then made the grocery run
      after about
      > 30-40 min of at home time and the bike on the charger.
      >
      > I popped the charger into the pocket of the Free Rad and when I
      arrived at
      > the store, I plugged into the outlet THERE as I was shopping. heh! Very
      > cool!
      >
      > By the way, I was working at a Car show tooday. So there I was,
      standing
      > with my X and my balloon pump in the shade! ('twas 80 degrees
      today!) among
      > a fine collection of old chevy iron. Making Balloon swords, and
      monkeys in
      > a tree and snakes and flowers and such. I answered several
      questions about
      > the X and could not talk to many of the people who stopped to look
      it over.
      > I mean really! I was swamped! When I start to twist balloons, kids
      come
      > out of the woodwork! (hey, if you pay me, I will come!) I worked a
      SOLID 3
      > hours making balloons, then finally escaped about 2:30 after doing a few
      > last ones for some last minute kids!
      >
      > Comments were invariably positive and very friendly! Car nuts are a
      rather
      > interesting group. THEY understand an obsession like this and the
      work and
      > thought that goes into it! It isn't the entheusiasts that are a
      problem,
      > but I had a blast, and it is fun to listen to 60's rock and roll and
      ask the
      > group of kids, "Who is THIS singing!" Parents are all waving arms and
      > going "oooo ooooooo!" Kids are... "whaaaaa?"
      >
      > HAH! fun!
      >
      > mark

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic