4529Re: [rootsradicals] Continental Town & Country VS Schwalbe Marathon XR?

  • Bryan Beretta
    Jun 2, 2008
      Hmm those Vulpines sound interesting, I'll have to see if anyone local has them.

      I just read a few more reviews the T&C's where people complained about their horrible puncture resistance. I don't ride in real debris laden areas but I most definitely do not want to deal with flats, especially on the rear. I know people are also more prone to write a review when their unhappy as opposed to happy though so who we shall see. I'm using you as my real world case study seeing as how you really put your gear through its paces. =)

      Thanks for the info!

      Bryan

      On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:
      the set of T&C's i got where from Performance when i lived in Ventura, so its been less than a year
      and they've seen a lot of use.
      this last trip, i used them on fireroad in the late evening, with a bit of a cargo load.

      this set of tyres has actually been to LA a few times, PCH Malibu, use in Ventura, and here in Monterey, to Big Sur a couple of times, and now actually in the Ventana Wilderness, just a bit.

      i think for $30-ish, they ROCK!
      this set is getting a bit beat up, but dont really show any real reasons why they would fail... still lots of life
      i wish they'd make them in a 2.4"

      the other set you might like to try are a set of WTB Vulpine 2.1's

      really... i just got a set, yet to mount up, for the Big Dummy

      currently i am using a 29er set, and I'm amazed how fast they are on the road, as well, as how much traction they actually give in the dirt.
      plus the rubber is something different... it seems pretty hard, and i think the tyre is fairly light, which blows my mind...

      Vulpines go for about $38 each.  Plus they are foldable!

      it seems like to get a decent foldable semi-slick/commuter/mtb tyre... you pretty much are shelling out $60/tyre
      thats kind of wacky...

      so Vulpines at $38 might be something... i have yet to try them out in 26" and on the Dummy... but it will be soon.

      peace..d