4527Re: [rootsradicals] Continental Town & Country VS Schwalbe Marathon XR?

  • Devian Gilbert
    Jun 2, 2008
      the set of T&C's i got where from Performance when i lived in Ventura, so its been less than a year
      and they've seen a lot of use.
      this last trip, i used them on fireroad in the late evening, with a bit of a cargo load.

      this set of tyres has actually been to LA a few times, PCH Malibu, use in Ventura, and here in Monterey, to Big Sur a couple of times, and now actually in the Ventana Wilderness, just a bit.

      i think for $30-ish, they ROCK!
      this set is getting a bit beat up, but dont really show any real reasons why they would fail... still lots of life
      i wish they'd make them in a 2.4"

      the other set you might like to try are a set of WTB Vulpine 2.1's

      really... i just got a set, yet to mount up, for the Big Dummy

      currently i am using a 29er set, and I'm amazed how fast they are on the road, as well, as how much traction they actually give in the dirt.
      plus the rubber is something different... it seems pretty hard, and i think the tyre is fairly light, which blows my mind...

      Vulpines go for about $38 each.  Plus they are foldable!

      it seems like to get a decent foldable semi-slick/commuter/mtb tyre... you pretty much are shelling out $60/tyre
      thats kind of wacky...

      so Vulpines at $38 might be something... i have yet to try them out in 26" and on the Dummy... but it will be soon.

      On Jun 2, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Bryan Beretta wrote:

      Hello all, quick tire question for you.

      I'm looking to upgrade from my stock 26x2 Bontrager tires that came on my Trek 4300 to something that rolls a little nicer. I've seen both the T&C's and the Marathons talked about favorably by Xtracycle riders.

      My LBS has the 26x2.1 T&C's for $30 which seems reasonable. My only concern is that in my research I've found a number of people saying that they're no longer made in Germany and are now made more cheaply in Asia and don't hold up like their older counterparts. Has anyone else heard or experiened this? Devian I'm assuming you've had yours for a while and they're most likely the better made version?

      The 26x2 Marathons seem to get more mention on bikeforums.net but they are also twice the price at $60. Being my first experience with tire buying that seems like more of an investment right now than I want or need. If they really are that much better though it's something to consider. I know Vik is a big fan of them.

      For the most part my Xtracycle riding has all been urban. I haven't really done any offroad as I thought I might when I got the bike. I do however ride on the beach fairly regularly where the paths can get quite sandy which I'm always concerned about in terms of grip. I'm also gearing up to start bike camping this summer but I'm not sure how much real offroad that will entail either. I'm expecting it to be a mix of touring and light paths for the most part which is why these two tires seem like solid choices.

      Anyone have any thoughts on the two? I've searched the archives andbikeforums.net a fair amount but thought someone here might have more current opinions.

      Also if anyone has opinions on liners such as Slime or Mr Tuffy that would be helpful as well.

      The guy who is way too color coordinated with his orange Xtracycle. =P

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic