4526Continental Town & Country VS Schwalbe Marathon XR?

  • Bryan Beretta
    Jun 2, 2008
      Hello all, quick tire question for you.

      I'm looking to upgrade from my stock 26x2 Bontrager tires that came on my Trek 4300 to something that rolls a little nicer. I've seen both the T&C's and the Marathons talked about favorably by Xtracycle riders.

      My LBS has the 26x2.1 T&C's for $30 which seems reasonable. My only concern is that in my research I've found a number of people saying that they're no longer made in Germany and are now made more cheaply in Asia and don't hold up like their older counterparts. Has anyone else heard or experiened this? Devian I'm assuming you've had yours for a while and they're most likely the better made version?

      The 26x2 Marathons seem to get more mention on bikeforums.net but they are also twice the price at $60. Being my first experience with tire buying that seems like more of an investment right now than I want or need. If they really are that much better though it's something to consider. I know Vik is a big fan of them.

      For the most part my Xtracycle riding has all been urban. I haven't really done any offroad as I thought I might when I got the bike. I do however ride on the beach fairly regularly where the paths can get quite sandy which I'm always concerned about in terms of grip. I'm also gearing up to start bike camping this summer but I'm not sure how much real offroad that will entail either. I'm expecting it to be a mix of touring and light paths for the most part which is why these two tires seem like solid choices.

      Anyone have any thoughts on the two? I've searched the archives and bikeforums.net a fair amount but thought someone here might have more current opinions.

      Also if anyone has opinions on liners such as Slime or Mr Tuffy that would be helpful as well.

      Thanks!

      Bryan
      The guy who is way too color coordinated with his orange Xtracycle. =P
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic