396Re: [rootsradicals] Anybody using a Peapod?

  • Stuart Edwards
    Jul 4 3:29 PM
      Hi All,

      I cart my seven year old around on the snap[ deck and my five year old sits on a centric mounted seat by a guy called Nik Lowther (here in NZ) She loves it, I leave it on the bike even when I am riding solo. I am sorry not to have any good pictures but email him for more info. nik.lowther@... . Nik is in New Zealand, but the seat is small and easily shipped about the place. The child sits almost right on the cross bar so centre of gravity remains as low as possible. Really stable riding even with a full load and the kids!

      This seat is not so suitable in my opinion for kids under three, but over three I rate it more highly that may of the other options (and there have been many) that I have tried. Construction is very robust so resale, or handing it down once you are done with it is very possible.

      It is an ideal compliment for the xtracycle, because it can always be there and just adds to the utility of the machine.

      Be good and ride hard.
      Stu

      On 7/5/06, BlueFrogPrpleDog@... <BlueFrogPrpleDog@...> wrote:

      Hi Diane:

      I ride my 4-year-old granddaughter on my snap deck without a peapod and we
      do just fine. I was wearing a backpack for her to hang onto, but have
      installed the stoker bars to my seat. We've done some long-distance riding and
      carried everything you can think of on a variety of terrains and she's just fine
      no matter how many turns we make or bumps we hit. Her rump does get sore on
      long rides so I added a pad to the snap deck for her to sit on. She's 46
      pounds and will be five later this month. She's pretty tall for her age, too,
      and has been riding her own two-wheeler with no training wheels since she was
      barely four. So, if your 4-year-old is rugged and adventurous, I'd say go
      for it, it works fine, but if they're a little more timid, they may like the
      security of the peapod. Happy riding!

      In a message dated 7/3/2006 7:33:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

      diane@... writes:
      I just got my Xtracycle and I love it -- go grocery shopping, do errands,
      pop a kid on and
      go...

      My problem seems to be the Peapod when my son is in it. He weighs 40 lbs.
      When I put the
      Peapod on pre-Xtracycle, the bike's handling and steering got *very* twitchy
      -- the idea of
      having a slight curve, let alone making a turn, was very scary. I thought
      the situation would
      improve when I put the Xtracycle on, but it hasn't.

      So my questions are:

      * Does this happen to anyone else? and
      * Do I really need the Peapod for my 4-year-old? Or should I just get a
      handlebar for back
      there and let him sit on the SnapDeck.

      Any advice appreciated,

      Diane

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/vEfwlB/TM

      You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
      radical.

      ride to believe.
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic