394Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Anybody using a Peapod?

  • John Speare
    Jul 4, 2006
      On 7/4/06, Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

      > Neat set-up, John. Please tell us about about the rig for the child. Is this something you
      > put together or found on the market?

      You could build one pretty easily probably, but I bought mine from a
      fellow in Eugene who imports a product call the "Companion Carrier."
      His email is jwb4mlc@....

      The seat and foot pegs are $54 shipped in ConUS.

      > This reminds me of the "Wee Ride" or "Wee Rider" child seat for bikes. We just saw one last
      > week and were fascinated with the idea. I can't seem to find any in stock and wonder if
      > they went out of business or were considered somehow too dangerous.

      I think it would be hard to argue that there are safety advantages to
      putting a kid in a rear seat versus in front of the cyclist. From a
      controllability/balance perspective there is absolutely no disputing
      that weight behind and above your COG on a bike is much more dangerous
      than the weight in front and below you.

      In my opion, any solution where you are carrying a child that requires
      you to go excessivley slow or be excessivley cautious is not a safe
      design or method for carrying children. Of course "excessively slow or
      cautious" is completly subjective, but my point is that if you have to
      change your riding style that dramatically then you've basically put
      together a toy for you and your children to tool around on, instead
      of on a vehicle that provides viable transportation.

      It's taken us a while to figure out how to build up the xtracycle and
      our other bikes as viable, daily transportation with our 3 y.o.
      daughter. I think the challenge will be next year, when she;'s too big
      to sit up front, but too small to ride her own bike. I ahve an old
      tandem on which I plan on isntalling child stoker pedals. I'm just not
      sure she'll be ready for that. I guess we'll see.

      happy riding.

      John Speare
      Spokane, WA USA
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic