3632RE: [rootsradicals] Re: wideloaders

    Apr 6, 2008

                  Perhaps I have had my FreeRadical and Wide-loaders for a number of years now and my Xtracycle set up is not as up-to-date because me wide-loaders and/or FreeRadical do not have pins or pin-holes for “locking” the wide-loaders in place as many people on this forum seem to describe. In any case, since I have heard some people talk about cutting down their wide-loaders so they are not so wide I thought I would share what I do. I simply keep one set of wide-loaders with an attached long-hauler on almost all the time, but I slide the one wide-loader further into the FreeRadical. The Wide-loader tubing does not reach the other end of the FreeRadical mounts, but it does limit the ability to slide in the other Wide-Loader from the other side. That does not bother me, since I usually just keep my second Wide-loader and Long-Hauler set at home unless I know I am going to haul a major load. For daily activities, having one set slid in further on the kickstand side of my bike does the trick.

                  I would think it might be a real shame to cut off three inches from the ends of a Wide-loader just to make it not stick out as much, when all you would really need to do is slide it in more and not use a wide-loader set up on the other side. When I worked as a messenger I did always carry the second wide-loader & long-hauler set folded up in the Freeloader bag on the other side of my bike. 80% of the time I could manage fine with just using the kickstand side wide-loader slid in deeper. The rest of the time I would just slide in both wide-loaders evenly.