2932Re: Shimano Alfine rear hub for bigger rider?

  • thedistrict303
    Feb 6, 2008
      ah, yes. the dishing. that logic makes sense. forgot about that. it
      really does make a difference--the rear wheel on my fixie is only 32
      spokes, but has taken a serious beating and is still true. thanks!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, phaedrus <rphaedrus@...> wrote:

      > I'm interested in the answer to this as well.
      >
      > I've already had the rear-wheel for my BD built up so if the answer's
      > no, I'm in trouble, but I'm pretty confident with these words from
      > Sheldon Brown regarding the Rohloff:
      >
      > "It is a shame that the hub is only available in 32 holes, but I have
      > been persuaded that 32 spokes, bedded in widely spaced flanges with no
      > wheel dish, are stronger than 48 spokes on a dished wheel with the
      > narrow flanges necessitated by 9 speed cassettes."
      >
      > Anyway, I recommend going with strong spokes. I think both DT-Swiss
      > and Wheelsmith make 2.3mm/2.0mm butted spokes. I believe my wheel was
      > built out with 2.0mm non-butted spokes. From Peter White:
      >
      > "Wheelsmith DB spokes are 2.0mm at the ends, and 1.7mm in the middle.
      > They make a heavy duty spoke for tandems as well, the DH13, which is
      > 2.3mm at the elbow, and 2.0mm all the way to the threaded end. DH13
      > spokes are extremely strong and should only be used with very strong,
      > stiff rims. Lightweight rims are likely to crack around the spoke
      > holes with heavy spokes like the DH13. "
      > http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/spokes.asp
      >
      > I also recommend a nice strong rim. I went with Velocity Cliffhangers.
      >
      > I also recommend fat, lower pressure tires like the Schwalbe Big Apple
      > 2.15 or 2.35.
      >
      > Also, make sure you can stop with all that weight - be sure to read
      > Surly's spew on the BD: http://www.surlybikes.com/spew19.html
      >
      > So, basically, good spokes and good rims and you should be set with a
      > symmetrical hub. My current xtracycle has a shimano nexus 8 with Sun
      > Rhyno Lites and I've carried between 350 and 400 lbs (including my
      > weight) for 10+ mile rides.
      >
      > For a final confidence booster, Surly designed the BD to work with a
      > Rohloff which only comes in 32 spokes, so you should be good with 32
      > or 36.
      >
      > - phaedrus
      >
      > On Feb 1, 2008 4:57 PM, thedistrict303 <graydavid@...> wrote:
      > > so the plan is to build up a big dummy with the new shimano alfine
      > > rear hub, which is either 32 or 36 spokes (i can't tell which, does
      > > anyone know?). assuming the wheel is well-built, with good spokes and
      > > good sturdy rims (salsa delgados, sun rhynolites, etc), should
      this be
      > > a reliable rear wheel for an xtracycle build? i'm about 280 lbs, and
      > > plan to use it mostly for commuting on paved surfaces, but also for
      > > some LIGHT trail riding and off road touring--nothing too crazy, no
      > > drops, etc. i will, however, probably have a child or two on the
      back,
      > > which will add anywhere between 40-60 pounds, along with a few pounds
      > > of gear/lunch. i may even take the wife out for a evening ride around
      > > town, in which case the load would be about 400 pounds. are WELL
      BUILT
      > > 32/36 spoke wheels adequate for that much weight? am i pushing my
      > > luck? is this spoke count just stupid for my load-bearing needs?
      > >
      > > i really like internal-geared hubs, and would like to use the alfine
      > > if possible, since it's rated for off-road use. obviously, the front
      > > wheel would be just as well built, but i know i can get a higher
      spoke
      > > count up front. will using bigger tires help cushion the wheels from
      > > damage? also, i know that the alfine hubs are just now entering the
      > > market, but any experience with other shimano internal hubs (nexus)
      > > would be invaluable, since i expect their load-bearing capacity is
      > > probably similar.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic