2921Re: tires

  • brian
    Feb 3, 2008
      Thanks everyone for your advice, I tried to get some schwalbe
      marathons but had a hard time finding any, I had a set of
      continental town and countries in my hand today but kept thinking of
      some reviews that I read online about some quality issues so after
      reading TONE'S advice I ordered a set of avocets. I should have
      them in a days. Thanks again

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

      > Brian,
      > Here in Pennsylvania on my Xtracycled equipped bike I
      > commute on pavement to work and back for 11 miles round trip each
      day
      > five times a week in pretty much all weather conditions except
      perhaps
      > icy conditions or snow above three inches (It is not that I could
      not
      > bike in those conditions, I just choose not to because I am pretty
      sure
      > drivers would not know how to cope with me on the road and I do not
      > trust their patience or abilities in those conditions). Before
      moving to
      > PA I worked for several years as a full time bike messenger in NYC
      with
      > a few of those years equipped with an Xtracycle. As a bike
      messenger I
      > learned about and came to love Avocet semi-slick inverted-tread
      Kevlar
      > tires. They have very low rolling resistance for a "mountain bike"
      tire
      > and seem to last a heck of a long time.
      > The exact tires I recommend are "Avocet Cross II
      26x1.5 K"
      > tires. I would not recommend them for ultra off-road
      muddy/rocky/wet
      > terrain, but dry foot paths or puddles on hard-packed trails are no
      > sweat. I have gone short distances on foot paths in the woods for
      > camping as well as ridden a few hundred miles on converted hard-
      packed
      > gravely rail trails (local rail-trail down to Baltimore and back).
      > have also ridden for many miles on rocky gravel along old railway
      lines
      > (touring from Vienna to Budapest), although that was not the most
      > pleasant riding (nor would not be on pretty much any bicycle
      tire). By
      > your description it sounds like you are seeking something, which
      handles
      > well on predominantly paved surfaces, and these tires are one of
      the
      > smoothest for a 26 inch "mountain bike" set up. Riding on pavement
      for
      > commuting and errands is what I do most and I love these tires for
      that.

      > Here are a couple of links to Avocet's site with tire
      specifications,
      > etc. though I think they only sell through distributors.
      >
      > http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2.html
      >
      > http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2_specs.html
      >
      > Hope this additional tire suggestion does not confuse
      your
      > choices more. :-)
      > _TONE_

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic