2684Re: [rootsradicals] Re: on e-assist

  • Juergen Weichert
    Jan 1, 2008
      I have been using (and selling) e-assist systems for several years now.
      There is no question about it - e-assist gets more folks out on bikes
      and certainly extends the utility of any bike but especially cargo bikes.

      I feel that electric assist should supplement, not replace human power
      as the primary motive force on the bike. As others have noted there is
      no "need" for electric on a bike given sufficient health and bicycle
      gearing, and time. You can get up any grade with just about any load,
      albeit at a crawl in some cases. Electric levels the playing field
      allowing those with heavy loads (personal or cargo!) to make it up
      grades in decent time at decent (regular cruising) speeds. Electric
      should not be seen as a way to go faster, but rather easier and more
      frequently. Most laws concerning electric bikes limit top (assisted)
      speeds to 20mph or 32km/h here in Canada. (reasonable - this is a quick
      cruising speed for most cyclists).

      There are many systems out there and it is vitally important to work
      with someone who understands them and can guide you to the best system
      for your needs. I would be happy to comment further about the ones I
      have used if folks are interested.

      Juergen

      Juergen Weichert
      613-746-7685
      Acclivity Solutions
      www.acclivity.ca

      tda0818 wrote:

      > Reading along with interest, back here. I more or less plan to go
      > e-assist sometime next year; probably in the spring, if the
      > StokeMonkey is available by then.
      >
      > Another step in my attempt to go carless. Summers here are long, HOT,
      > and sticky. If I'm really going to go carless, I've got to be able to
      > run errands on the way to work, or mid-day, without being an absolute
      > sweaty mess. Some e-assist should make that possible.
      >
      > As Morgan keeps saying, it just makes the bike a much more realistic
      > alternative to the car.
      >
      > --urbino
      >
      > -

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic