1991Re: [rootsradicals] sloppy shifts

  • Mark Garvey
    Nov 1, 2007
      Oh, another point, get friction shifters! I have NEVER had good luck
      with index shifters. which was part of the point I made in my last
      note. I love my friction shifters. yes, sometimes I have a little
      problem with the chain not quite in one gear or another, but when I
      have friction shifters, I can jiggle them to the right place. you can
      NOT do this with index shifters!

      mark

      On Nov 1, 2007 6:53 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
      > It is possible that your indexed shifter is out of whack.
      > I am not 100% sure how to adjust a 7-speed shifter, but
      > for an 8 or 9, the rule is to shift so that the derailleur should
      > be on the second smallest cog, adjust the cable tension so
      > that it is just jumping at #3 from #2, then back off a little so
      > that it stays in #2 (but no more than necessary).
      >
      > I do this, and check it after big temperature swings, and
      > I have had nothing but good shifts.
      >

      > On 2007-11-01, at 4:29 PM, Todd Reed wrote:
      >
      > > Howdy all,
      > >
      > > I don't know that this is a strictly Xtracycle related problem.
      > > There's probably lots on the list who would know how to fix this
      > > though. I've got a Bridgestone MB-1 frame with my Xtracycle on the
      > > rear. It's a nice solid retro Cro-Mo mtb frame with classic
      > > dimensions, or so I've been told. I've got a Shimano XT rear
      > > derailleur and Deore XT thumbshifters. My chain is slipping from
      > > gear to gear in back and it's become a source of great angst for me.
      > >
      > > I recently installed a new rear 7-speed cluster and Shimano chain
      > > set since the chain had stretched and the cogset was pretty old.
      > > The performance of this new setup leaves something to be desired.
      > > Nothing like a chain slipping from gear to gear after a shift to
      > > give you that uneasy feeling. I would guess the bike ship sold me
      > > some knock-off rear cog, but perhaps it also has to do with the
      > > long chain length with the Xtracycle.
      > >
      > > More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid
      > > drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if
      > > anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance for any tips.
      > >
      > > Todd

      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > ride to believe.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Mark Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Check out the web site at:
      http://www.vine-ave.com

      contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program! Details
      at www.vine-ave.com

      I am a bicycling lifestylist!
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic