1788Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Two questions...

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Oct 5, 2007
      Some of the flexiness remarked on may not be the bike and free-radical,
      but the way the load was packed. I've a stokemonkey with the huge
      batterypack. When I put that pack in the freeloaders, I get 'flex' and
      wobble. The pack can swing in the freeloaders. When I cram that pack
      into the pocket of the freeloaders (deluxe), then I don't get the
      wobble. One of my freeloaders has a smaller pocket than the other one.
      I get less wobble with the tighter pocket (but that means I have to
      remove the entire freeloader when I need to bring the batterypack inside
      for charging).

      Some of my other loads, I've noticed some wobble. I've attributed that
      much more to the way I had the load packed than to the material of my
      bike frame.

      I used to have the freeradical attached to an aluminum frame. It's now
      attached to a Surly-instigator. My real reason for changing was, I
      wanted a frame that was a better fit for me, not because I was concerned
      about aluminum vs steel. Hearing about the strength, durability, and
      repairability of steel, though, helped me decided to get a steel frame.

      The current set-up is a sweet ride and looks really classy. I get
      complements all the time. I had to put the tongue of the freeradical
      below the chainstay bridge so I could squeeze in a stokemonkey (I got
      the small instigator frame). This changes the dynamics of the bike a
      little, but the ride is still good. I also made the mistake of letting
      the bike shop cut about 2 inches off the top of the fork (the way I
      ride, those two inches are missed). With this set up, I don't do much
      'no hands,' but I have had no problem hauling friends up the hill to home.

      CL

      --

      Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
      Cara Lin Bridgman