14867Re: [ROOTSRADICALS] Re: edgerunner frame sizes

  • Lise Kuhr
    Dec 9, 2013
      Steve,
      I really appreciate your comments on this matter; I was actually quite sure I would go with the bigger frame, but the test rides swayed me to the smaller frame.  I completely felt like both bikes could work, but the lower step over and easily achieved upright position (and overall feel) helped to convince me.
      Anyway, thanks, I was close to choosing my bike on spec, and glad that I made a journey to really test the two frames, and your post helped to encourage me.
      Lise.

      On Dec 5, 2013, at 6:08 AM, "hal.ninek@..." <hal.ninek@...> wrote:

      I'm 5' 9" and just got the smaller frame size. I will add that I am older perhaps than most purchasers, 53, so moving to a more upright position made more sense to me. I think that is the bottom line here. When you are riding this bike must you have the same more aggressive position you might take on your other bikes? For me the answer was no - I can't think of situation where I need to be leaning more than a little bit forward on the bike. And I still ride my commuting bike with drop bars and have no problems moving back and forth between the two.

      And most of my riding is of the low speed variety simply because that is the nature of things when you are riding with a 4 year old on back. I will say that I flipped the handlebars over a bit so that the rise is lower since I felt like the hand grips were too high before, but I tend to do that on all my non-racing bikes.

      I assure you that when you first get on the smaller frame it will seem weird and not stretched out enough - it did for me on the test ride. But I do think that if you got the longer one, you'd be unhappy as you grew older and wanted a more upright ride.

      On another note, Davey Oil, what is that front basket on your Xtracycle? It looks to be attached to the frame and not the fork. Please dish on how I can get one.

      Steve Seelig, Washington, DC

      --- In ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com, Davey Oil <daveyoil@...> wrote:

      > Well, it doesn't sound like you are getting shop-level support for your big
      > purchase. Let me know if you need somebody to bounce ideas off of. Any
      > member of this group is a friend of mine!
      >
      > oil@...
      >
      > Good choice, by the way. You are going to love the ER, especially
      > electrified.
      >
      > Davey Oil
      >

      > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Lise Kuhr <lisekg@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hi,
      > > Thanks for your comment. Why can't I test drive the two sizes? One of
      > > the two "dealers" is really not a bike shop, and the bike shop that is also
      > > a dealer is a small shop, and doesn't always have an edgerunner there. I
      > > have test driven the original edgerunner, but given the huge investment, it
      > > would be nice to feel sure about the frame size. I plan to get the
      > > electrified version.
      > > Thanks again,
      > > Lise.
      > >
      > > Lise Kuhr
      > >
      > > On Dec 3, 2013, at 6:00 AM, Davey Oil <daveyoil@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I am an Xtracycle dealer in Seattle. I've ridden both and set up dozens of
      > > folks on test rides and sales at this point. I am smaller than you and I am
      > > going for the larger size for myself. The smaller frame is pretty darn
      > > small.
      > >
      > > Why can't you test ride them? Frustrating!
      > >
      > > If you feel like taking a trip down south I'll show you around the bikes
      > > sometime!
      > >
      > > On Dec 2, 2013, at 8:58 PM, <lisekg@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi,
      > > I am looking to get the 2nd version of the edgerunner, which comes in two
      > > frame sizes; unfortunately I can't actually try both bikes to compare the
      > > two. I am 5'8 1/2, ad have a 32" inseam - I have had one dealer steer me
      > > toward the larger frame, saying that I will have more options with the
      > > handlebar position in the larger model. Anyone have any thoughts? Also,
      > > anyone in Vancouver BC that has the smaller frame, and would be willing to
      > > let me sit on it? Thanks!
      > >

      > --
      > Davey Oil
      >
      > the "O" of
      > *G&O Family Cyclery,*
      > a cargo and family bike shop for Seattle,
      > now open!
      > visit familycyclery.com
      >
      > *Riding on Roadways*
      > is my blog about Roads, Bikes and Pedal Parenting in Seattle.
      > Read it at: daveyoil.com
      > Also, we twitter: @gofamilycyclery
      > Thanks!

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic