14758Re: new commuter, buyer's regret, and wanting and xtracycle

  • brad.lide
    Aug 2, 2013
      Rob, I have personally owned two Yuba Mundo's both vs. 3. Wouldn't fool with 1's and 2's. I have personally ridden 2 girls, one weighing 150+ and one weighing 110 with bags and gears. We rode down through main street about 9:30 at night having a great time. I have also ridden my 170 lb son with no issues. The bike is a beast. I have hookworm tires and downhill tubes on it. Not real fast, but clips along at a leisurely 10-12 mph and gets up to 18 down hills. Very stable. I take it on trails, go off road, handles great on grass with the big tires. Very low geared and am able to go up pretty steep grades (very slowly). I am 56 and am pretty heavy myself so appreciate how stable and smooth this is. I find it easier to ride than my commuter.

      I am building an x with a Swobo Heywood and Imotion 9, although may go Nuvinci.
      Am putting a Patterson 2 speed up front so all internal with disc. I have a great time with my grandson and by all means put a bell on the stoker bars.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > Rob;
      >
      > Hi-Ten steel is always a cost consideration driven choice. It is NOT stiffer than chrome-moly FOR THE SAME WALL THICKNESS AND WEIGHT. In Steel the alloy has little effect on the modulus of elasticity. Effective stiffness is a matter of tube diameter and wall thickness.
      >
      > I am not sure about current production but I have read reports of some older Yuba Mundos that had some standard part/accessory mounting holes misaligned making assembly difficult.
      >
      > Rich Wood
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rdstreet" <rdstreet@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am impressed with the amount of response. Thanks to all.
      > >
      > > The more I read the more attracted I am to a Yuba Mondo. It has the highest weight rating, and costs much less than a Big Dummy. Odd to me that they use high tensile steel, though. Does anyone know if this is a cost or design consideration? I initially assumed it was cost, but I am now considering that it may be because high tensile steel is less flexy, which is a good thing in a cargo bike.
      > >
      > > I don't have the cash, but I don't have the cash for a fully outfitted FreeRadical either, so a manufactured longtail means saving a little longer, and probably avoiding another thread with "buyers regret" in the title.
      > >
      > > I am still considering the FreeRadical though, particularly for my wife's bike, which *I think* has conforming dropouts. Her load would be much less, as I have at least 80 pounds on her, and I will carry the heavier children.
      > >
      > > Rob

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic