14697Re: new commuter, buyer's regret, and wanting and xtracycle

  • samdodge@ymail.com
    May 31, 2013
      There are a lot of variables that affect ride quality that don't pertain to frame design/materials. I've been riding Yuba Mundos extensively for a few month now after having ridden multiple Xtracycle builds and have some experience riding Big Dummys.

      There is no way I could call the Mundo a "pig." With or without weight it feels like a regular hybrid bike. The stock build is more than sufficient for most users, the complete bike weights only 5-6 pounds more than the Big Dummy, and the riding position matches a normal hybrid. I've ridden for hours with an adult passenger on the Mundo (350lbs total weight) and I haven't even been sore the next day.

      Even after spending 45 minutes with 2 Adult passengers (480 lbs total) the YM was still nimble and easy to ride. It was nimble enough that I was able to skirt around pot holes continuously without causing undue passenger unsteadiness. I even felt comfortable enough to pull an evasive maneuver to sneak past a truck in traffic (a move that freaked out my passengers not because the bike was unsteady but rather because they thought I was going to hit the truck).

      I think people believe the Big Dummy is "faster" or "better" because it's based on a mountain bike geometry that they are used to. Putting drop bars on a YM would be annoying, but on a BD it's not uncommon. If you're looking for Cargo-Light and you want a more sporty feel, the BD makes sense. If you're looking for Cargo-Everything and want the most stable platform, the YM makes sense.

      Regarding comparisons to FreeRads in terms of frame flex and handling, in my experience on 3+ different X builds is that the YM with 150lbs of cargo (not rider or bike weight) feels similar to an X build with Zero weight. The YM with Zero weight rides like my hybrid - I have no problems speeding around town at 14-17mph.

      As far as YM build quality, having seen 5 Version 4.0's come through my shop in the past 4 months, everything looks just fine. No misaligned mounts, no mistakes.

      The BD, YM, and FreeRad are all great options and they all serve different needs.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:
      > ROb,
      > There is a world of difference between the ride quality of a Big Dummy and that of a Yuba Mundo. The BD rides like a dream and feels good to ride. It is smooth, fast, predictable. The YM (at least the one that that I rode once) rode like a pig. I mean no disrespect to the bike or its owners, but I found it incredibly clunky and uncomfortable. Yes, it is more heavy duty. It is also more heavy period.
      > To be fair, another variable is the components. The YM uses what seem to be low end pedals, handle bars, tires, etc. that themselves feel clunky. They won't break, but there is no pleasure in them. I used top kit when I built my BD and I am sure that makes a bit of difference in how it feels. Still, the main difference is frame design and weight.
      > Also, the YM does not use the Xtracycle open source design so the X racks and hardware etc do not fit it. That is not to say that you can't get lots of goodies for the YM, but they tend to be fewer and proprietary. I would say that the YM is a great candidate for electric drive, or if you absolutely need to exceed the 400 lb capacity of the BD, or your budget just can't support the purchase of the BD. If you actually plan to pedal it a lot, I think the BD is the far superior choice.
      > David Dannenberg
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic