14692Re: new commuter, buyer's regret, and wanting and xtracycle

  • rdstreet
    May 28, 2013
      I am impressed with the amount of response. Thanks to all.

      The more I read the more attracted I am to a Yuba Mondo. It has the highest weight rating, and costs much less than a Big Dummy. Odd to me that they use high tensile steel, though. Does anyone know if this is a cost or design consideration? I initially assumed it was cost, but I am now considering that it may be because high tensile steel is less flexy, which is a good thing in a cargo bike.

      I don't have the cash, but I don't have the cash for a fully outfitted FreeRadical either, so a manufactured longtail means saving a little longer, and probably avoiding another thread with "buyers regret" in the title.

      I am still considering the FreeRadical though, particularly for my wife's bike, which *I think* has conforming dropouts. Her load would be much less, as I have at least 80 pounds on her, and I will carry the heavier children.

      Rob

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > Minimum cost is probably an Xtracycle conversion kit installed on a older pre suspension mountain bike. Look around both on Craigslist and at local Salvation Army and other donated material stores such as St. Vincents etc. The old pre suspension MTBs are frequently available cheap. A couple of years ago I picked up a Trek 950 for about $75 at a Goodwill store. It needed new tires, a new bottom bracket and some cleanup but is an excellent older steel MTB that now has a NuVinci rear hub in it. Go for a good quality aluminum or steel frame bike for conversion.
      >
      > Rich Wood
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Brian Livelsberger <livelsbe@> wrote:
      > >
      > > re: flex -- if you have the cash, I'd go with big dummy, Edgerunner, Yuba
      > > or the like to minimize flex. If cash is a problem, or if you just like the
      > > add-on idea, aluminum frame is the next best bet, but still only does so
      > > much, as the primary point of flex comes in the mating between the donor
      > > frame and the bolt-on attachment. I have an aluminum donor frame and carry
      > > my 6yo and 3yo, and I've gotten used to the flex, just toned down my riding
      > > to accommodate when loaded. Is the flex annoying? Yes. Does it limit what I
      > > do when loaded? Yes, mostly it makes me slower and more deliberate about
      > > everything. Is it a deal breaker? Heck no! My X is the only bike I ride.
      > > The other day I lashed a trailer tongue and a couple of cheapo wheels on a
      > > 2x4 to a 6' length of 7" diameter log and towed it home with both kids on
      > > bike. It's not a choice between bad and good, but a choice between good and
      > > better.
      > >
      > > Brian, DCish

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic