14691Re: new commuter, buyer's regret, and wanting and xtracycle

  • Rich W
    May 28, 2013
      Minimum cost is probably an Xtracycle conversion kit installed on a older pre suspension mountain bike. Look around both on Craigslist and at local Salvation Army and other donated material stores such as St. Vincents etc. The old pre suspension MTBs are frequently available cheap. A couple of years ago I picked up a Trek 950 for about $75 at a Goodwill store. It needed new tires, a new bottom bracket and some cleanup but is an excellent older steel MTB that now has a NuVinci rear hub in it. Go for a good quality aluminum or steel frame bike for conversion.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Brian Livelsberger <livelsbe@...> wrote:

      > re: flex -- if you have the cash, I'd go with big dummy, Edgerunner, Yuba
      > or the like to minimize flex. If cash is a problem, or if you just like the
      > add-on idea, aluminum frame is the next best bet, but still only does so
      > much, as the primary point of flex comes in the mating between the donor
      > frame and the bolt-on attachment. I have an aluminum donor frame and carry
      > my 6yo and 3yo, and I've gotten used to the flex, just toned down my riding
      > to accommodate when loaded. Is the flex annoying? Yes. Does it limit what I
      > do when loaded? Yes, mostly it makes me slower and more deliberate about
      > everything. Is it a deal breaker? Heck no! My X is the only bike I ride.
      > The other day I lashed a trailer tongue and a couple of cheapo wheels on a
      > 2x4 to a 6' length of 7" diameter log and towed it home with both kids on
      > bike. It's not a choice between bad and good, but a choice between good and
      > better.
      >
      > Brian, DCish
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic