14690Re: [rootsradicals] Re: new commuter, buyer's regret, and wanting and xtracycle

  • Brian Livelsberger
    May 28, 2013
      re: flex -- if you have the cash, I'd go with big dummy, Edgerunner, Yuba or the like to minimize flex. If cash is a problem, or if you just like the add-on idea, aluminum frame is the next best bet, but still only does so much, as the primary point of flex comes in the mating between the donor frame and the bolt-on attachment. I have an aluminum donor frame and carry my 6yo and 3yo, and I've gotten used to the flex, just toned down my riding to accommodate when loaded. Is the flex annoying? Yes. Does it limit what I do when loaded? Yes, mostly it makes me slower and more deliberate about everything. Is it a deal breaker? Heck no! My X is the only bike I ride. The other day I lashed a trailer tongue and a couple of cheapo wheels on a 2x4 to a 6' length of 7" diameter log and towed it home with both kids on bike. It's not a choice between bad and good, but a choice between good and better.

      Brian, DCish

      On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM, TeamJT <jtrops@...> wrote:

      120 is standard track spacing. If you have a good local bike shop with frame straightening tools they could space it to fit the x. 15mm's should be okay, but it's a lot of space to add without the right tools.

      ------------------------------

      On Mon, May 27, 2013 9:06 PM MDT rdstreet wrote:

      >Thanks for the responses.
      >
      >I just measured my rear dropout the best I can with the wheel on, and read about 4.75", or about 120mm. I don't even know if that is a standard size.
      >
      >I will post my bike on CL and see what happens, offering it for trade as well. If I can't get what I want for it, I will just live with it, and start looking for a donor frame. I just can't let go of this xtracycle thing.
      >
      >About that donor bike...
      >I had originally decided that in seeking a donor bike, I would want a full chromoly frame, but one of the most frequent comments I read from xtracycle owners is about the whole setup being too flexy. Maybe I should consider aluminum? I weigh 200 pounds, and want to carry my 2.5 and 5 year old with me.
      >
      >--- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, TeamJT <jtrops@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I think you are dead on with your assessment about the suitability of your bike for conversion.  If you were to convert you may want to keep the front end as is, wheel, brake and all.
      >> Now it gets interesting for the rear.  U-Brakes have higher bosses than any other rim brake (unless you have some old Suntour powercams laying around).  As a result your rear brake will not work even if you opt for a 26 in the back.  Also, I'm pretty sure you will find a single speed a bit un-fun before too long if you actually carry any cargo.  So, a 650b disc wheel with 8 speeds, or maybe an internal gear ( I have a Nuvinci), a BB7 disc caliper, and a little cold working of your frame to get the new hub to fit.  I think you could make the conversion work pretty well.  One thing to keep in mind is that while the head angle will be slacked out a little due to the smaller rear wheel, it won't be a big deal due to the long wheelbase.
      >> I looked at the specs for your bike, and it doesn't mention the rear hub width.  If it is smaller than 126 I would be hesitant to respace the frame.  The BMX standard used to be 110mm, and I don't see any reason they would have changed it.  If that is your spacing I would look for a donor frame

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic